Menu

Singing lessons for articulation?

zenjenn

The talent/ability thread reminded me of something I've been wondering...

I have a daughter with articulation issues. Not major, but perplexing articulation issues. She's seen a few different speech therapists, and we've worked on speech at home. Some progress, but not really as much as there should be. Even her SLPs have been flummoxed by her inability to improve with certain sound blends. This speech issue has also impacted her spelling abilities (it is difficult to encode certain words if your pronunciation is flawed to begin with.) She's also mildly dyslexic.

Now last week, while her sister was playing the piano ("Mary Had a Little Lamb"), my daughter started goofing off, singing in this really loud, exaggerated, and theatrical way. The thing is, she actually sounded kinda good, and I'd never heard her enunciate so clearly before. Ever.

We praised her and asked her to do it again, but of course, at that point she was all self-conscious and couldn't really duplicate it.

It has me wondering if singing lessons might actually help with speech articulation? Anyone heard of this?

Edited by zenjenn

If you found a teacher with education in vocal anatomy and speech, it might help. Most are just musically trained, it could be hard to find the right person. My SIL has all that training and has worked with students with speech issues and seen real improvement.

Your daughter sounds exactly like mine!!!

Have you looked into oral motor dyspraxia? That's what my daughter was diagnosed with. We've been in speech for 4 years, very faithfully, and I was disappointed with our progress. We moved, saw a new developmental ped, got this diagnosis, and are now seeing an SLP who is PROMPT certified, which is a program for kids with apraxia that emphasizes muscle movement and the therapists touch the child's face. It has made an immediate difference. All the oral motor exercises in the world didn't do my daughter a lick of good because it wasn't that she didn't know *how* to make the sound, it was that she couldn't coordinate her muscles well enough to even understand what the right way was.

I hope that makes sense.

It might be worth checking into.