Menu

Financial books?

I can feel that New Year's organizing bug starting to bite! I want to tighten up our financial life (budget, insurances, paper filing system, etc.). Can anyone recommend an inspirational book? I already own the Dave Ramsey books and plan to re-read those after Christmas.

I have read a ton of personal finance books over the years, and by far the most inspirational to me was "Your Money or Your Life". It is not good about investments, but it is great about picking a BHAG and how to go after it. The Tightwad Gazette compendium is full of great ideas for reducing discretionary spending, and quite entertaining. I like the Suze Orman books for more mainstream but in depth overviews of personal finance in general, including investments and insurance.

i know you have dave ramsey's, but honestly, that's the only one i really recommend. "total money makeover" completely and totally changed our entire lives in the best possible way (we've been at it for 3 years). we follow his plan pretty closely and have real freedom now.

eta - we just finished financial peace university too (also dave ramsey), but i still preferred total money makeover, hands-down. much cheaper too!