Menu

Phonics question

Dustybug

My DD 5 is 15 lessons into The Reading Lesson, but also has background with Abeka phonics. She breezes through the lessons, but I think a lot of it is that she recognizes words more than she knows them from pronouncing the phoenetically. Does that make sense? She can pretty much remember a word if she hears it said out loud once. So she can already read all the words in The Reading Lesson, but I she hesitates on some words if I have her stop and sound them out. I want to strengthen her in this area, so I was thinking of purchasing ETC as a supplement. I was also thinking of getting Get Ready for the Code as a start for my DS who will be 4 this month and already knows all the basic letter sounds. My question is, can I use just the workbooks or will I need the teacher's guides too?

My oldest read mostly by sight when he was that age. We focused on phonics for spelling instead of reading. He really didn't need to sound things out until we got to multisyllable words (particularly 4th grade level words and up). Learning syllabication helped with that immensely - things like open syllables having a long vowel sound, closed syllables having a short vowel sound, etc. Webster's Speller is excellent for practicing syllables like that, and it has words up to 12th grade level, so you wouldn't run out of words. ;) It sounds like what you're using is just below her reading level at the moment.

For ETC... I don't know about the Get Ready books...The regular ETC books (ETC1, etc.) don't require the TG. There is occasionally a picture that I can't decipher, but not very often.

I just also wanted to point that you can check her on nonsense words- or pseudo words to see if she really has her phonics skills (sounds like she may not though and being 5 I feel that's okay), but maybe for future reference if you follow this link it provides a phonics skills test and 5 out of the 15 words are nonsense, so if she can't get any right then you know she needs more reinforcement, but generally the goal is for the child to read 80% of the words to have mastered it on this test. I'm sure there are others like it- DIBELS, but this one is quick and easy to use. :001_smile:

http://www.hershey.k12.pa.us/56039310111408/lib/56039310111408/_files/CORE_Phonics_Survey_2008.pdf

I just also wanted to point that you can check her on nonsense words- or pseudo words to see if she really has her phonics skills (sounds like she may not though and being 5 I feel that's okay), but maybe for future reference if you follow this link it provides a phonics skills test and 5 out of the 15 words are nonsense, so if she can't get any right then you know she needs more reinforcement, but generally the goal is for the child to read 80% of the words to have mastered it on this test. I'm sure there are others like it- DIBELS, but this one is quick and easy to use. :001_smile:

http://www.hershey.k12.pa.us/56039310111408/lib/56039310111408/_files/CORE_Phonics_Survey_2008.pdf

Thanks for posting that! I will try it out with her tomorrow. :)