Menu

american history - need help with retention

mytwomonkeys

my daughter is currently studying american history. i don't expect her to retain all of the details of course, but i would like her to retain some of the information. it is a little confusing right now for her, as it is all new in some regard & trying to remember it all without mixing up facts is difficult (i totally understand that).

i'd love ideas to help her. i'm open to games, videos, fun writing assignments - whatever. here are a few examples of what i'd like to help her understand: bill of rights, 3 branches of government, etc. (i don't expect her to recite the amendments, but to simply know that the bill of rights is the first 10 & at least associate it with freedom of speech, religion, and press, etc). there is more of course, but those are some examples. i already plan to incorporate schoolhouse rock:)

hope this makes sense. TIA.

Make a timeline!

Of course that doesn't really address the kinds of things you listed, but I think it is important nonetheless. A timeline helps develop a mental framework to "hang" things on.

On the other hand, the specific things you've mentioned could be studied as civics/government instead of American history. Maybe search the archives for middle-school level civics resources?

Edited by jplain

The main thing that helps my kids with retention of history is making lapbooks. HOAC has a lot of good ones on American history that I have bought.

We also do memory work on things such as part of the Declaration of Independence, preamble of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, major wars of the US, etc.

HSLDA has a nice article about teaching civics from preschool through middle school. You may find some good resources there.

http://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Civics.asp