Menu

ACT scores have changed!

I am looking at my ACT scores from 1984. I got a 24 in English which was 90 percent of the people, a 31 in math which was better than 97 percent, a 28 in social studies which was better than 93 and 31 in science which was better than 95 percent. My composite of 29 was better than p7 percent of the nation and better than 99 percent of the nation in Texas.

Good grief. Those actually don't seem like good scores. I didn't prep for it. I'm thinking that now a 24 would put you in the 60th percentile or something. I had to laugh because the whole reason I took it was to place out of freshman English and that was my lowest score. I didn't realize it was grammar. Oh... I just realized, my son also has a reading section which mine didn't have. I did much better on the SAT reading. ( I loved those analogies.) and the AP literature exam.

Things have changed.

Did you find your old score report, or is there some way to look up past scores online? I have no idea what I got on the SAT, although I did find my PSAT score. I think I know what I got on the ACT, but I may be off. Just curious.

Yes, I have a school folder that has a paper score for my ACT, SAT, GRE, teacher test to be able to teach in OK when we moved, etc.

It is also funny. Because my self reported grades were A in English, A in history, B in math, and C in science. I tested best in the classes where I got the worst grades! I do remember being blown away by the science. I took Biology in 9th and Chemistry in 10th. No more science. I took this my senior year. I thought I had failed. That is one thing I never understood. All of the placement tests I took and some kind of aptitude test that told you what you should be, always told me I should be a scientist. I HATE SCIENCE!!!! My teachers were terrible. I was always going to major in music. That was my passion.

I wish being a music major had been different. When I switched majors, I chose English and history as my teaching fields because I had the most hours in them. I love learning and loved kids. I really didn't care. I've seriously considered going back and getting my degree in music ed again, but what would be the point? I mean for our performance tonight I am running around like a madwoman: Singing in the choir, duet, 2 praise team numbers, directing the kids choir for two numbers, and directing the adult choir for one number. I'm doing what I always wanted to do anyway. One of the guys came up and said you just make me think of the joyful woman when you are directing. You just look like you are having so much fun. And am!! I do wish I had a way to polish my directing skills, though, since I've never taken a class. I may still audit a directing class or something..

But I digress. I found this link. http://www.actstudent.org/scores/norms1.html which shows my scores would be in the 73rd percentile for English if I took it today. That looks better. 90 percentile seemed REALLY high for that kind of score. My son is just doing so much better than I did on his practice tests: 32-34 on the reading, 30-32 on the English, 30-32 on the math, and then science has been all over the map 26-32. He watched the videos someone linked and watched those this week. He thought they were helpful.