Menu

Can you look at plans for dd now in 4ths math plans for logic stage?

I posted about this a few months ago but I didn't have a long term (logic stage) plan at that time. Now I do. The only reason I am looking at doing this is to save money on next years curriculum. Its not that we couldn't afford everything I had planned, but I love dh to much to give him a heart attack ;)

5th Grade

I am going to do the first 4 chapters of Lials Basic College Math 2 days a week (Monday and Thursday). Those chapters would include:

1) Whole numbers (reading, writing, adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, long division, rounding, exponents, roots, order of operations, pictographs, bar graphs, line graphs and a section on application problems which are word problems),

2) Multiplying and Dividing Fractions (fraction basics, mixed numbers, factors, writing a fraction in lowest terms, multiplying fractions, applications of mult which is word problems, dividing fractions, multiplying and dividing mixed numbers)

3) Adding and Subtracting fractions (+ and - like fractions, LCM, + and - unlike fractions, + and - mixed numbers, order relation and order of operation with fractions)

4) Decimals (reading and writing decimals, rounding decimals, adding and subtracting decimals, multiplying decimals, dividing decimals, writing fractions as decimals)

The Key to Series 2 days a week except geometry and algebra. (Tuesday and Friday)

Horizons 5th grade worksheets (Friday)--- If I saw anything on there that she wasn't already covering or that she needed extra help in I would find something (probably free worksheets or Khan academy) to help solidify concepts. She would also do Calculadders M-F

6th Grade

Lials BCM chapters 5-10 (M, Th)

5) Ratio and Proportion (ratios, rates, proportions, solving proportions, solving application problems with proportions)

6) Percent (basics of percent, percents and fractions, using the percent proportions and identifying the components in a percent problem, using proportion to solve percent problems, using the percent equation, solving application problems with percent, simple interest, compound interest)

7) Measurement (solving problems with English Measurement, The Metric System- Length, The Metric System- Capacity and Weight (Mass), Problem Solving with the Metric Measurement, Metric- English conversions and temperature)

8) Geometry- (basic geometry terms, angles and their relationships, rectangles and squares, parallelograms and trapezoids, triangles, circles, volume, Pythagorean theorem, similar triangles)

9) Basic Algebra (signed numbers, adding and subtracting signed numbers, multiplying and dividing signed numbers, order of operations, evaluating expressions and formulas, solving equations, solving equations with several steps, using equations to solve application problems)

10) Statistics (circle graphs, bar graphs and line graphs, frequency distributions and histograms, Mean, Median and Mode)

Patty Paper Geometry (Tues, Friday)

Horizons 6th grade worksheets (Wednesday)--

7th Grade

Lials Pre-Algebra

8th Grade

Finish Lials Pre-Algebra if not finished in 7th and start VideoText Algebra (starting with Mod A for review)

Thoughts?

I think this looks feasible. It looks like your familiar with BCM so you'd know if it would be suitable for your dc. If you really take 2 years going through BCM, I'm not sure you'd need to do Lial's prealgebra - perhaps just move right into Algebra.

I think this looks feasible. It looks like your familiar with BCM so you'd know if it would be suitable for your dc. If you really take 2 years going through BCM, I'm not sure you'd need to do Lial's prealgebra - perhaps just move right into Algebra.

I guess my biggest concern is that I will be missing something. I don't want to move her into Algebra 1 too soon that is why I was thinking to do Lials Pre-Algebra first. I have not actually looked at the book though to see what the difference between that and BCM is.

Here's a previous thread which lists the major topics in both BCM and Pre-Algebra. It really wouldn't hurt to do the Pre-Algebra but if you have a capable student, you might consider moving directly to Algebra. I definitely don't see you needing more than one year for Pre-Algebra as there is quite a bit of overlap.

You might cross post on High School Board or PM Jann in Tx on this. She is a math tutor who has a great deal of experience with Lial's books.