Menu

AAS. Homophones

warneral

I don't remember how much it costs, but we use the Homophone book exactly the way you are thinking.

It is a great way to work on homophones. We could live without it. Guess I would say that if things are tight financially skip it, but if you can afford it is easy, fun reinforcement.

Heather

We have the book but haven't started using it yet since I feel like we barely have enough time to do regular spelling and other subjects. But when I looked through the book it looked like fun activities and games that you would want to do together, not individual homophone work. It's not an activity book like a workbook. More of an activity book outlining how to set up and do the activities. I may be wrong, since I haven't used it yet, but that was my observation after looking through it.

I prefer the hard copy book so I can resell it when I'm done. Just my preference.

I guess homophones would be the LAST thing you want to do independently LOL - good point! There are some activity pages for review and crossword puzzles that the kids would like. I just ordered it b/c I'd like something a little easier one day a week - plus it is something to practice. The ebook ended up being only 18.00 and not 28.00 and I don't know why!

I was thinking it might be a nice independent activity? Some days (as much as we love it), we just don't have the time to individually do AAS and it would be nice to have that option once a week!

The only part that I use is the worksheets and I do have the kiddos do them independently. The worksheets focus on one set of homophones and then have a set of sentences where the child is supposed to fill in the correct spelling for that use. Like sale, sail, once sentence might be: I got that dress on ____. then another: The boat has a white____. Each sheet has...about 10 such sentences. The difference between the two or three homophones are not covered on the worksheet so you would have to make sure the child knew that when you give them the sheet. Beyond that it is independent.

Heather

I was going to suggest the e-book too, since it's so easy to print off worksheets that way, and you have permission to print them for your family. It's consumable, so the workbook wouldn't really be resalable anyway. We also use it independently (have mainly just done the worksheets!). As you said, make sure your child knows which word goes with which meaning but then they can do them on their own. My kids often do 2-3 worksheets in about 10-15 minutes, and it works great for days I don't have time to work one on one with them. Mid or after Level 3 is a great time to start it, because that's when AAS introduces homophones. AAH has a lot more though and focuses on usage. It's a fun supplement. I haven't used all of the puzzles etc...

Merry :-)