Menu

Singapore math test book

Bluegoat

I bought it for ds last year and found it to unnecessary. I knew when he needed extra drill and the tests weren't difficult, usually a rehash of workbook problems. Many on the board use the CWP and IP so this year I passed on getting tests for both dc and opted to use the supplement texts for more depth.

It's going to depend on how much extra practice your kids need.

I'm using Standards.

In 3, I really felt we needed more practice and had the Extra Practice book. It didn't give enough extra practice on the topics we needed. We have the EP book for 4 but we don't use it.

For 5, I got the tests instead of the EP.

There's a test for each section in a chapter... roughly 10 problems. There are two versions of each test: 1 open ended, 1 multiple choice (different problems). At the end of a chapter, there are 2 review tests (one m/c, one open ended).

I don't think I'll use the tests much, but when we need extra practice, they'll be available.

We're also using IP and CWP (old version) but my son has needed some extra drill on some topics. (Spectrum workbooks do an okay job for this as well.)

In our case (not the OP) we don't need them for extra practice, but I was wondering if they are more "test like" in appearance and content than the regular problems. I sometimes worry that we don't have any formal math "tests," but just keep moving through the curriculum. I thought maybe having official "tests" would be a good idea, so I could say, "You have a math test tomorrow, go study for it." And I'd be able to give a real grade. With the Reviews and Practices, I'm never sure how to score them. If problem 5 has one part, but Problem 6 has a, b, c, and d, should I count Problem 6 as four problems? I thought maybe "official" tests would solve that problem.

I ordered them to see what they were like but don't use them. I teach the lessons every day; I know what the kids know and what they don't. Tests also really just don't suit our learning style, especially since my kids are very young (five and six). They have their place, and the kids might even do math competitions someday, but right now testing is very far outside of our scope.

I do use the tests. I should say however, that I primarily use the cumulative tests. These incorporate all of the information learned in the previous chapters. I like to reinforce what they have learned. Although I could make these up myself, it makes my life easier.

We just started the grade 4 Standards Edition a few weeks ago. We are not using the tests, and I am glad I didn't get them. There is plenty of practice for my son between the textbook, workbook, IP, and CWP. In fact, I'm not using the Practice sections of the textbook, so if I needed extra practice, I could add those in. For "tests", I am using the cumulative reviews in the workbook. They are pretty plain and test-like looking, so I think they suffice. We just did the first one this week. The next one, we'll probably have to spread out over a couple days. The cumulative reviews get longer and longer. :D

I thought maybe having official "tests" would be a good idea, so I could say, "You have a math test tomorrow, go study for it." And I'd be able to give a real grade. With the Reviews and Practices, I'm never sure how to score them. If problem 5 has one part, but Problem 6 has a, b, c, and d, should I count Problem 6 as four problems? I thought maybe "official" tests would solve that problem.

The Tests do have scoring built in. Generally they're out of 10 or 20 points.

For a grade, I do the placement tests from the Singapore site at the end of each book.