Menu

Delta Science: life science recommendations

happy-hs

• 2 weeks later...

I've liked most of the Nutshell kits we've used, but I haven't really used any for life science as we have generally always just done our own thing for that. We always obtained various critters, learned about them, and observed them. We also did lots of bug safaris in warmer weather, and other sorts of nature walks. I feel certain that most any Nutshell you select will serve you well, however!

If you want to use more than one or two of these, I might email Delta and ask which kit info is included in the "cluster" kit. It might be worth it to get 4-6 kits all in one....

How old/advanced in science are your children? Some of these kits (Microworlds) are geared a little higher. If you have a good microscope and they are ready to cover microscopic organisms, this one might still be worthwhile, even if they're younger. I have done some basic microscopy work in past even with third graders and they were fine with it. Or, you might prefer to go with the Small Wonders kits for something on a more basic level than the Microworlds....

About half of their kits are geared toward the human body. For studying biology in general, I'd probably only choose one, more general, human body kit and choose at least one on animals and one on plants, in addition to one on microscopic life.

The only one of these kits that I see that we have is the Pond and Stream, which we used with earth science, rather than biology (you can go either way with it). It is a good kit, as are most all their kits....

All Nutshells require you adding in some additional reading, in my opinion. They do provide some basic info, but in order to really get a feel for a topic, I think you need to cover it more in depth than what these kits provide. They do, however, provide a solid way to cover your lab work.