Menu

Moving from R&S 6 to Hake...what level?

Dd12 (and I) just can't stomach the religious content in R&S anymore. I thought we were going to go with KISS but then I looked at Hake and think that it may be exactly what dd12 needs. I liked the looks of KISS but she didn't once we got a few lessons into it. I showed her some samples of Hake and she liked it, saying that she really feels she needs the amount of review that seems to be in Hake. What level of Hake would you move to if you were halfway through R&S 6 with very poor retention? (We don't need the writing portion)

Thanks!

I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago, and the consensus seemed to be to place the student at grade level. This works because Hake uses that spiral method of teaching with lots of grammar review of earlier concepts. I'm thinking that using this method will help fill in any gaps my own dd may have in her understanding of grammar.

We have used several grammar programs over the past 5 years, including FLL 4 and R&S 5. We will have completed ALL's 20 available lessons by the end of this school year, so my plan is to go ahead and place my dd in Hake 8 next fall.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Well, in the last three years, we've done Easy Grammar 4, R&S 5, part of Killgallon SC and are now half-way through R&S 6. She does well on daily work and tests but when we go back to something after a month or so it is as if it is all new to her. We started KISS a week ago, and even though the first few lessons should be all review for her, the PA, PN, DO and IO lesson completely stumped her. She acted like she had never heard of such things.:glare:

Thanks for chiming in! I think I will get the 6th grade level and just start it after Christmas. I'm hoping the spiral method will do the trick with her.