Menu

Grammar and writing question

tracigirl

This is my 5th week of homeschooling my 2 boys (2nd and 4th grade) and I still am not sure how it is going. I love it but feel like some things just aren't right, but really have nothing to base it on.

We are using WWE 2 for both boys ( we started WWE 4 with my 4th grader but it seemed too advanced so switched). We are doing ok with WWE 2 but I wonder if they should also be learning how to write (paragraphs, intro, conclusion, ect) or if that is covered later in WWE?

Also, we are using basic Winston grammar for both boys. They are doing good with it but this week we are starting to learn about modifiers. This seems advanced for a second grader, but again, I have nothing to base that opinion on. I got on the Winston grammar website and it indicated that abstract grammar should begin in 5th grade. I decided to print off review worksheets for this week because I believe it could only help, but I am not sure how far to go in the Winston grammar book, or if i finish it if i should go up to the next level or stick to review of the basic book. Honestly, my second grader seems to "get it" more than my 4th grader. Any opinions? When I talk to friends in ps schools they say their children can label the entire sentence, so that contradicts the abstract thinking statement by Winston.

So I guess my question is should I continue on with the basic grammar book, where to go from there for next year, and should we add in more writing or is WWE 2 all they need?

Thanks so much for any feedback. As much as I love this new journey, I can't help but to doubt myself sometimes. I don't want them to miss something because I don't know what I'm doing :-).

I think second grade is a little early to worry about writing "paragraphs, intros, conclusions, etc." My son is in second grade, and he is by no means ready for that level of writing. I'm planning on working through WWE2 this ear, WWE3 next year, and then switching over to Meaningful Composition. I might also start using some story-writing prompts and so forth next year.

For your older son: fourth grade is plenty old enough to talk about thesis statements, and have him find them in a paragraph, even if he's not up to actually writing them yet. Maybe you could start there?

As for grammar, my son has no problems with Rod & Staff English 2. Many people don't start grammar until third grade or even later, though. Like you, I don't see much of a reason to put it off, though. I really want to get my son's grammar down so he can do a better job editing himself when he does start writing more prolifically. I don't know much about Winston, though! I do know that the oral method of First Language Lessons does not work for my son at all.

I would strongly suggest listening to the lecture on teaching writing in the elementary years, available from Peace Hill Press. It explains the writing philosophy very well, including how it differs from public school style writing.

Also, take a look at the Writing With Skill samples to see where you go after WWE. You might find there what you were expecting in WWE.

I can't help much on the grammar front, as I don't know anything about Winston grammar. I use FLL and have been very happy with it. You can jump in at grade level or put them together in FLL3.

I would strongly suggest listening to the lecture on teaching writing in the elementary years, available from Peace Hill Press. It explains the writing philosophy very well, including how it differs from public school style writing.

I was going to suggest this as well. SWB's writing methods do not follow typical public school philosophies for writing. If you follow her programs your dc will "seem" to be behind based on the school system so it is really important that you understand the reasons behind the method and feel comfortable delaying the type of writing your dc's ps peers will be doing. Here is a link directly to the elementary mp3. I feel it should be required listening before starting WWE!

Not everyone here follows these writing methods and some follow them but also supplement with creative writing and writing more inline with ps. It will take you awhile to determine what methods work best for your family and what philosophies fit the closest to your own goals. Good Luck!

Thanks so much! I will check out all of this info. I am starting to get overwhelmed and have yet to add in our history or science...yikes! Plan to very soon!

Actually just finished grammar with them and my second grader is doing much better than my 4th. I had my 4th grader do additional worksheets on adverbs, after we already did a few together, and when he gets the sheet he says, "what's an adverb again?" as if we didn't just spend 30 minutes on it! I feel like he just doesn't care, therefore not trying...ugh!

Anyways, just venting...sorry :-)

Thank you all for the info!

I'm of the mind that "formal" grammar shouldn't be started until 3rd grade. Informally going over parts of speech should be enough for a 2nd grader. Check out the vintage book "Grammarland" on Google books. My then 2nd grader loved it. Another HS mom I know is using it with her 3rd and 1st grader and they also love it. It's especially fun if you do "voices" for the different characters. It's been a year since we read it (using MCT Grammar Island now) but my DC still make references to Judge Grammar and the little article.

As for writing.... all children are different, If you feel the 2nd grader is ready for original composition then I would not ask for more then simple sentences to go with drawings/pictures. Otherwise stick to dictation so he/she learns how sentences are put together. I would think the 4th grader might be ready for a more advanced/structured program. I have no experience with Winston, and have yet to find a writing program I like.

I just stick with handwriting and some basic copywork for the early years. I am using Winston Grammar, but with a 6th grader. I can see where you could do some of the early things with a younger child, but I tend to think that grammar is better left up to older students.

I just started my 2nd grader with Rod and Staff grammar, but she's my 1st out of 3 that I've started that young. We're working through it slowly and doing most of it orally. I'll drop it if it get's too difficult for her. I focus on math and reading in the early elementary grades. I tend to work more on grammar starting in 3rd and 4th. I've held off on writing until 4th and above.

We did try WWE, but it was frustrating for my crew. However, if it's working out for you then stick with it, I know it's a great program.

I just stick with handwriting and some basic copywork for the early years. I am using Winston Grammar, but with a 6th grader. I can see where you could do some of the early things with a younger child, but I tend to think that grammar is better left up to older students.

I just started my 2nd grader with Rod and Staff grammar, but she's my 1st out of 3 that I've started that young. We're working through it slowly and doing most of it orally. I'll drop it if it get's too difficult for her. I focus on math and reading in the early elementary grades. I tend to work more on grammar starting in 3rd and 4th. I've held off on writing until 4th and above.

We did try WWE, but it was frustrating for my crew. However, if it's working out for you then stick with it, I know it's a great program.

Thanks! That makes me feel better about not moving too fast with Winston.

Do you have a writting program that you love?

Thanks! That makes me feel better about not moving too fast with Winston.

Do you have a writting program that you love?

Not really. I don't like teaching writing:D. But I will do it.

I've used some of Writing Tales and liked it...I just have one child who hates writing anything and sometimes I pick my battles. He is maturing and I can see where it will get better in the future...or at least that's what I'm counting on. I'm currently using http://www.time4writing.com with him. That basically leaves me out of the equation.

I have Wordsmith Apprentice in line when he finishes up a few courses on T4W. Then I might bring out the Writing Tales.

If WWE is working, then I'd stick with it. It was not a good fit for our house. Right now with my younger two I'm just doing some copywork, and they have dictation in their spelling program.

Alison