Menu

math problem, is this correct?

Dd did an even problem where there isn't an answer in the SM. I did the problem and want to make sure I did it correctly:

(2y^5 - 5y^4 - 3y^2 - 6y - 23) divided by (y - 3)

My answer came out to 2y^4 + y^3 + y^2 - 6 - 41/y-3

How did I do? Thanks!

**Kiana is correct below**

Edited by Susan C.

Wolfram alpha differs with you. (scroll down to quotient and remainder, it will also show steps)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%282y%5E5+-+5y%5E4+-+3y%5E2+-+6y+-+23%29+divided+by+%28y+-+3%29

They get 2y^4 + y^3 + 3y^2 + 6y + 12 remainder 13.

Your error seems to be after the y^3 term. When you subtracted after finding y^3, you should've had (y^4 - 3y^2 - 6y - 23) - (y^4 - 3y^3), which is 3y^3 - 3y^2 - 6y - 23. The next term would then be 3y^2. It seems you accidentally ended up with y^3 leading. Perhaps you lost the 3 on the y^3? I can't give more details without seeing your working.

Wolfram alpha differs with you. (scroll down to quotient and remainder, it will also show steps)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%282y%5E5+-+5y%5E4+-+3y%5E2+-+6y+-+23%29+divided+by+%28y+-+3%29

They get 2y^4 + y^3 + 3y^2 + 6y + 12 remainder 13.

Your error seems to be after the y^3 term. When you subtracted after finding y^3, you should've had (y^4 - 3y^2 - 6y - 23) - (y^4 - 3y^3), which is 3y^3 - 3y^2 - 6y - 23. The next term would then be 3y^2. It seems you accidentally ended up with y^3 leading. Perhaps you lost the 3 on the y^3? I can't give more details without seeing your working.

I did long division and it looked like that. Is there any chance the actual problem also included -2y^3 ? By multiplying the answer in the OP and (y-3) I got the original polynomial plus -2y^3. But I was interrupted twice by someone who should have been asleep, so I may have made an error.

I did long division and it looked like that. Is there any chance the actual problem also included -2y^3 ? By multiplying the answer in the OP and (y-3) I got the original polynomial plus -2y^3. But I was interrupted twice by someone who should have been asleep, so I may have made an error.

Good point. No, you're correct.

(If the problem was really (2y^5 - 5y^4 -2y^3 - 3y^2 - 6y - 23) divided by (y - 3), the answer was correct.)