Menu

Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek vs Greek for Children vs Elementary Greek

Bloggermom

I have a 6 year old boy and a 9 year old girl I want to get started with on Greek. I already own Elementary Greek and Greek for Children. I am not sure which one I should use for my 9 year old.

I am also wondering... would Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek work well for a 6 year old once they are done with phonics? I wanted the Greek alphabet and sounds to work into his brain right after the English ones so they would become second nature to him.

What do you think of the three programs and the ages they work best for?

I considered hey Andrew for dd earlier this year while deciding on a Greek curriculum. I almost bought it but decided at the last minute to get song school Greek and dd is really liking it so far. We did the Code Cracker for learning the alphabet first but SSG covers the alphabet so it's not necessary. The songs were the deciding factor because they really helped when we were doing Latin. We are currently doing Latin for children & SSG at the same time. I would think you could use song school for both of them and maybe do Greek for Children also with the 9 year old after the alphabet is mastered.

For the younger I would either go with Hey Andrew or Code Cracker Greek/Song School Greek. I used Hey Andrew for my boys and it was a gentle introduction to the Greek alphabet. In hindsight I think they may have liked Code Cracker and Song School Greek better.

I almost went with Greek for Children for my 9 year old. I considered Elementary Greek as well. If you have all three Elementary Greek books I might go that route since there isn't a second book available for Greek for Children yet.

I am moving my 9 year old into Athenaze. He went through Hey Andrew 1 and 2 plus some other things here and there and can read Greek okay now. Although I wanted a Koine Greek program, Athenaze has the reading approach will make Greek easier for my kid.

I have started Hey Andrew with my boys after they finished phonics and were starting to read chapter books. Both of my boys were 6. My oldest, almost 9, is in Hey Andrew 4 and my middle, 6.5, is in Hey Andrew 3 - he loves to work on his Greek. (I actually limit him to 15 mins a day:)

I love Hey Andrew for the young beginner - it is slow, filled with repetition but it is fun for my boys. My oldest in now doing both Elementary and Hey Andrew. The learning curve in Hey Andrew was getting to steep so this has slowed it down and provided a second explanation. For us this is working well and I am not in a hurry to get my kids through. I want them to enjoy Greek, so taking our time is the way to go.