Menu

Choosing an elementary dictionary and thesaurus?

Kathryn

How do I choose? I think I'm picking between American Heritage and Merriam-Webster for a dictionary and between American Heritage and Roget's for a thesaurus. Is there a clear "winner?" What about "student" vs. "children's" vs. "elementary?"

Related, how many years should these last before we need to move up to something higher (and what is the next level?)?

Anyone? I see the dictionary that JW recommends in FLL got good reviews on Amazon, but I have some concern over the reviews on the recommended thesaurus.

Are children's versions all that helpful? I grew up using a complete American Heritage dictionary and Roget's thesaurus. I think I'd be more concerned about the thesaurus being geared towards younger children since I recall it being difficult to distinguish shades of meaning, yet I want something complete.

I'm also in the market for a dictionary. I'm considering this one because her current children's dictionary is too simple, but Ariel is definitely not ready for the collegiate version that is the only other dictionary we have in the house.

This is the one we have. It has most of the words needed for the dictionary work in CLE. When it doesn't, I help him look it up in the regular dictionary.

We bought our thesaurus at the Dollar Store. I do not suggest you do this. :lol: We end up looking up a lot of words at thesaurus.com. I think when they really need this, a collegiate level would come in handy.