Menu

How To Teach Spelling online samples?

atozmom

Ugh. I am trying to decide if I want to switch over from AAS. We are in book 2. I like AAS, but it doesn't seem to get done as often as it should. We haven't used the tiles in forever. DS would rather just write on the whiteboard. We don't review as much as we should because the cards drive me nuts. I guess I just don't like having so many pieces to have to get out just to do spelling. (I don't know, maybe part of it is just mid-year burn out :lol:)

I already own all the way through book 5. I got a really great deal when we first started the program. So it almost seems like a waste not to use them, but it is taking forever to make it through one book. (Not because he's struggling but because it just doesn't get done.) We stared book 2 at the end of last year and we only on step 20 now. See what I mean about not getting done. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, I guess I am done rambling. I don't feel like I am making any sense this morning. :confused: :lol:

:lol: This whole time, I've been working on posting samples before seeing you guys ask for it!

Here ya go... samples of book 3:

http://kinderbauernhofacademy.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-spell-book-3-samples.html

Sorry they're fuzzy!

Thank you!!! :001_smile::001_smile:

Are the sample pages of the Teacher's book at CBD a good representation of the rest of the book? Would you say it is just as easy to teach as AAS but without all of the extra? And last questions -- we are on step 20 in book 2, where would you recommend starting in HTTS? Sorry for all of the questions.

Thank you!!! :001_smile::001_smile:

Are the sample pages of the Teacher's book at CBD a good representation of the rest of the book? Would you say it is just as easy to teach as AAS but without all of the extra? And last questions -- we are on step 20 in book 2, where would you recommend starting in HTTS? Sorry for all of the questions.

That's a decent sample of the TM. Those are the very beginning pages. The words and sentences get a LOT harder toward the back of the book. ;)

As easy to teach as AAS? Well, probably not quite, because AAS is scripted, so you can just open the book and read what it says. HTTS is not scripted, and you have to pick out which words/sentences you'll use. The workbooks help a lot with this though.

I would just start at the beginning of whatever workbook you get. Each year, you start at the beginning and work your way through the TM. As you get into upper grades, some new concepts are added in. They're labeled as to which grade they're taught.

Just remember that the workbooks are not grade levels!!!!

Workbook 1 = grade 1

Workbook 2 = grade 2-3

Workbook 3 = grade 4-6

Workbook 4 = grade 7+

I accidentally got workbook 3, and I should have gotten workbook 2, which is why I'm not using it right now (that and I wanted a completely independent spelling for a bit, so we're using R&S Spelling right now, and will probably use HTTS workbook 3 sometime next year after we complete R&S Spelling 4).

That's a decent sample of the TM. Those are the very beginning pages. The words and sentences get a LOT harder toward the back of the book. ;) This actually sounds great for my high schooler that could use some remedial spelling help. Nothing we have tried so far has worked. It was my intention to work through AAS quickly with her, but well......

As easy to teach as AAS? Well, probably not quite, because AAS is scripted, so you can just open the book and read what it says. HTTS is not scripted, and you have to pick out which words/sentences you'll use. The workbooks help a lot with this though. I never use AAS as scripted so I think I would be ok with this.

I would just start at the beginning of whatever workbook you get. Each year, you start at the beginning and work your way through the TM. As you get into upper grades, some new concepts are added in. They're labeled as to which grade they're taught.

Just remember that the workbooks are not grade levels!!!!

Workbook 1 = grade 1

Workbook 2 = grade 2-3

Workbook 3 = grade 4-6

Workbook 4 = grade 7+

Thanks, it looks like I should go with book 2 for DS and maybe 4 for DD. Are the answer keys necessary?

I accidentally got workbook 3, and I should have gotten workbook 2, which is why I'm not using it right now (that and I wanted a completely independent spelling for a bit, so we're using R&S Spelling right now, and will probably use HTTS workbook 3 sometime next year after we complete R&S Spelling 4).

I REALLY appreciate all of your help!!

:lol: This whole time, I've been working on posting samples before seeing you guys ask for it!

Here ya go... samples of book 3:

http://kinderbauernhofacademy.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-spell-book-3-samples.html

Sorry they're fuzzy!

Thank you very much for posting that! It was very helpful. The book looks great!

I ordered books 3 & 4. The samples of 3 look like it might be a good fit for ds. What kinds of words does book 2 have in comparison?? Is it possible, that as he works through book 3....if I feel he needs to practice the words that would have been in book 2....can I just use the TM and give him words from book 2 pages along with the book 3 pages? Or, would I have no idea what words would line up with each other? I don't know if I'm making sense......

Thanks boscopup! This actually looks similar to what I've been making for our Spelling. I like how it asks you to manipulate the words, build them and take them apart. To build the words correctly you need to understand the rule. The words do look really easy though, is that the beginning of workbook 3? Did you say the words do get harder? Mid-book? Towards the end? Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. :)

Did you say the words do get harder? Mid-book? Towards the end? Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. :)

The TM has the word lists and dictation sentences, so you would pick whatever level you need. The workbook is to practice the rules, so I think it uses easier words. The TM has plenty of harder words.

Here's some examples from later in the workbook (3):

rheumatism

pseudonym

isle, island, aisle

rogue

vogue

wrought

writhe

Fahrenheit

lieutenant

bureau

bouillon