Menu

Geometry/Spatial skills resources for middle grades

My ds10 is in 5th grade. He enjoys origami and is fairly good at spatial puzzles which involve symmetry, rotation, tessellation, etc. We afterschool with MEP. In school this year, they started with basic geometry which he also seems to enjoy. I would like to extend his interest in Geometry, but I find MEP is very sketchy in this area.

1. I am looking for resources which provide puzzles / challenges in spatial/geometrical thinking (such as how many triangles can you spot in this figure? how many cubes are stacked in this 3D figure? what is the surface area of this 3D figure...and so on).

2. I am also looking for a geometry program which explains angles, triangles, polygons, area, volume, tessellations, rotations, reflection, etc. in a fun way without going into mathematical proofs.

I would really appreciate some suggestions from the hive.

Patty Paper Geometry has been discussed on these forums before and most users liked it.

Take a look also at this short, free book called Mathematics Through Paper Folding. I believe it is at a high school level but you may be able to adapt some activities from it.

ETA: Here is another paper-folding site I found via this forum. I cannot make much sense of it, but perhaps it may help you.

Edited by nansk

For a geometry program, you might like the MM topic books on geometry:

Thanks for this. This does fit into my criteria of a basic geometry program. I like that these can be downloaded and they are also cheap.

I was also looking into CSMP today. They have a separate strand for Geometry and that also covers most of the basic topics I was looking for.

I have atleast a couple of options I can go with now. :001_smile:

Patty Paper Geometry has been discussed on these forums before and most users liked it.

Take a look also at this short, free book called Mathematics Through Paper Folding. I believe it is at a high school level but you may be able to adapt some activities from it.

ETA: Here is another paper-folding site I found via this forum. I cannot make much sense of it, but perhaps it may help you.

I have read great things about Patty Paper Geometry too, but it is looking pretty expensive to me right now. The other two resources are fascinating though. The Wholemovement site has a page on constructing various 3D models with just paper plates. That looks like an interesting activity to try out. Thanks for sharing.