Menu

Grammar definitions to complement Hake/Saxon Grammar??

Mom0012

Does anyone have a resource that they can recommend for this? I am using Hake/Saxon Grammar for the second year with my son and one thing I think would be helpful to us is to have definitions for many of the grammar terms memorized. For that matter, I think I need something for my daughter, who is using CLE, as well. I had hoped to switch her to ALL and then use the definitions from there for my son as well, but now that ALL isn't coming out any time soon, I need another idea.

I have considered the Shurley Jingle cd, but I wonder if the terminology is too different?

Thanks!

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I'm considering buying this for 5th grade, and we do grammar extremely light in the early years. Since this would be our big grammar experience, what specifically are they leaving out? I'm a bit concerned if they are not teaching what nouns, verbs, pronouns, adverbs, etc are.

They do teach all these things, but the explanations tend to be wordy. They specifically have you memorize helping verbs, linking verbs, prepositions, the pronoun case chart and irregular verbs, but they don't have the kids memorize simpler definitions. (Maybe they assume they have already done this by 5th grade.) I often find myself wanting to know the definition of an adverb or trying to remember what a predicate nominative is, so it would be helpful to have a generic list of definitions we should memorize.

Lisa