Menu

Questions about video game systems?

LNC

1. What do the gb numbers mean? I.e. Playstation 3 has 160gb and Xbox has 4gb...

2. What does the online membership do? We wouldn't want that, do you need it to play the Xbox for example?

I'm looking at ads for a special needs (moderately intellectually disabled) 14yo. He would only play easy, E rated games like Lego, John Madden etc. I don't anticipate him playing anything multiplayer or downloading online.

3. Would a Wii suit his needs better? Could he use the Wii mote?

This is all so confusing. Thanks for any help.

The gb is the size of the hard drive (aka How much space it has to hold saved games)

I do not do the online option for console games, too much $$.

Honestly, I would go with the Wii for you child. It is cheaper, easier to play and there are tons of E rated games. The Xbox and Playstation would be better for hard-core gamers that need the heavy graphics.

The online membership is not needed to play most games. The Xbox is going to be the best well rounded system. The Wii is a little outdated now and will be due for an upgrade soon. Xbox has many many add ons, if you decide to go that way in the future- pay for a Live account and you can access all sorts of media and entertainment. Xbox also has Kinect which is superior to the Wii motion sensing and will soon have many more capabilities than it already has. Xbox is also going to have a better resale value, which I'm all about. :)

If your child is easily frustrated, I would not go with the Wii because it's not nearly as accurate as it should be and causes a lot of issues. I don't know what his special needs are, but that's something to consider.