Menu

Taking a break from Kumon

After four years, we are taking a break from Kumon math and reading. That's exciting for all of us! The program actually is quite good (even the advanced reading was very challenging and good) but at the upper levels of math, it got too strict and repetitious. So now we're taking a break! Ahh, summer time!

My dd7 did Kumon math at the private school she attended for 3 years and I was amazed. She completed level A in Kindergarten! The school uses Kumon daily through 8th grade. I've wondered whether or not I should continue going to a private Kumon center because of the amazing results I've seen, but the closest center to us is at least a 40 min. drive and with 2 dd's the monthly tuition is pricey. I've continued w/ timed daily math facts in our homeschool, but I know it's not the same rigor as Kumon.

How far did you guys go? What ages are your dc? Are you glad you did it?

Thanks!

How far did you guys go? What ages are your dc? Are you glad you did it?

Thanks!

Our kids (now 12 and 13) completed the Reading Program through the last level, was it Level L or something. That was a challenge but they did it!

And math is great too-- my 13 is in the middle of Level J (tenth grade) and my 12 yo is working on Level H (I think that is 8th grade work). The problems really were well done, but we just think a break would be terrific. I have a lot of respect for the program itself, and it certainly helped the kids math skills quite a bit!

My 5yo started Kumon Math last summer and is currently halfway through Level B. He will officially be starting Kindergarten in the fall.

My 17yo started Kumon Reading last August in Level F and is currently working in the last level, Level L. He also started Kumon Math in March in level D and is curently finishing up Level G. He had done Kumon Math years ago and tested in right where he left off. He will be in 11th grade in the fall.

I really like Kumon, but definitely understand the need for a break.

Have Fun-

Mandy

Okay, I know it's really rude, but you guys paid for 2 kids to do Kumon reading and math?! Holy cow! That would cost me approx. $450 a month + the gas & time to get to the center (40 miles).

I wish there was a program like Kumon that you could implement at home only (at a fraction of the cost).

Thanks for sharing your experience!!

Okay, I know it's really rude, but you guys paid for 2 kids to do Kumon reading and math?! Holy cow! That would cost me approx. $450 a month + the gas & time to get to the center (40 miles).

I wish there was a program like Kumon that you could implement at home only (at a fraction of the cost).

Don't I know it!!! And yet, the kids are only young once, and truly I do choose the investments in education carefully... but you're right, it really adds up! Now, of course, let me tell you about our music lessons! Why is everything so expensive!!! In the end, we're paying just about as much as private education can cost, but luckily I do feel that this is a choice we can make (and we don't have to make!). In other ways we are penny-pinchers-- no cable TV, no frequent movies/restaurants/take out food, fairly simple lifestyle... Oh well, to each, his own!

At my center math is $90/ month and reading is $100/ month. I have one doing reading and two doing math and Kumon is about 5 miles or less from my home.

I know of nothing like Kumon reading. Kumon math is a mastery program, so at the lower levels it is similar to MUS and Developmental Math. However, it just wouldn't be the same. Can you imagine timing each of those sheets and if your child didn’t demonstrate mastery to the point of immediacy with very few errors making them do the same sheet again? And all the while being patient and reassuring?

Also, we live in a very white/ Caucasian area and my husband is Persian. The Kumon center is run by an Indian family and many of the students (disproportionate to the area) are Indian, Middle Eastern, and Asian. Last summer when my youngest began attending Kumon, I was excited for him to see more people who looked like his dad.

My oldest would never work as diligently or repetitively for me as he does for the owner of the Kumon center. It has kept me from worrying excessively and has lifted a burden from our relationship.

Kumon has been worth the money and not just for the academic benefits.

I heartily recommend it.

Mandy