Menu

Jessica at TA..did you decide on how to do your binders? I'm just curious.

I made a "plan" for myself so I don't have to think about it after we move.

First Quarter Binder (9 weeks)

-Put calendar and quarter's goals in front

-Put reading log in front

Bible- Explorer's Bible Study Lessons 1-9

Math- Horizons 3 Lessons 1-36

Latin - Prima Latina (unsure yet how to pace)

French- Unit 2 Écoutez, Parlez

PLL- handwriting paper put in with lesson # at top

ETC - 9 lessons

Science- Human Body lessons 1-9

TOG Year 3, Unit 1: SAP, Mapwork and whatever else

Classically Cursive: 1 page per week- 9 pages

Informal Logic: 1 worksheet of Building Critical Thinking per week- 9 total

Second Quarter Binder (9 weeks)

Bible- Explorer's Bible Study Lessons 10-18

Math- Horizons 3 Lessons 37-72

Latin - Prima Latina (unsure yet)

French- Unit 3 Écoutez, Parlez

ETC - 9 lessons

Science- Human Body lesson 10 and ___________

TOG Year 3, Unit 2: SAP, Mapwork and whatever else

Third Quarter Binder (9 weeks)

Bible- Explorer's Bible Study Lessons 19-27

Math- Horizons 3 Lessons 73-108

French- Unit 4 Écoutez, Parlez

ETC - 9 lessons or Simply Spelling

Science- Cell Biology

TOG Year 3, Unit 3: SAP, Mapwork and whatever else

Fourth Quarter Binder (9 weeks)

Bible- Explorer's Bible Study Lessons 28-30

Math- Horizons 3 Lessons 109-160

French- Unit 4 Écoutez, Parlez

PLL (tab is Writing)- handwriting paper put in with lesson # at top

Simply Spelling- handwriting paper with lesson #

Science- Botany

TOG Year 3, Unit 3 (tab is History): SAP, Mapwork and whatever else

I won't be able to put it all together until we're settled but each binder with have tabs:

-Bible

-Math

-Latin

-French

-Writing (cursive practice goes in the back)

-Spelling

-Science

-History

-Logic

I think we can use 2" binders and be fine. After we get settled, I'll prefill the 4 binders as much as I can and I'll leave it up to my dd8 whether or not she wants to continue to have daily folders or just work from the quarter binder.

With TOG, I'm keeping the plans within my own 4 quarter binders, I'm not putting any master pages in dd's quarter binders. I think that was confusing to some before. I'm putting copies of the Student Activity Pages and whatever else I feel she needs.

I think this will work out beautifully, it combines my two biggest needs (mobility and containment).

Me? A cliffhanger, wow! Dh will laugh and laugh about that one! :lol:

Ok...I think I can see it now. I am just trying to decide if it will bug dd that all her history isn't together like it was this year. She likes flipping back through her Ancients folder and seeing it all together. The nice thing about the plan is that for subjects that don't have a ton of worksheets etc you don't have to have an extra folder which is a waste. Especially since so much of our science is in our nature journals. so much to think about. And I have to make a decision asap. Our school year starts June 23rd!

And yes..it was a cliff hanger; at least to me. I so appreciate your organized mind and need a little help in that area. My Momma always called me the Absent Minded Professor growing up. LOL

Thanks Jessica!

Sheryl in GA

Jessica, you amaze me w/ how organized you are. I get so overwhelmed. But, you have inspired me. So, forgive me if somebody asked this already, but...are you disassembling workbooks like ETC and putting the ind. pages in the binders? That makes so much sense to have everything in ONE notebook as opposed to 8 books out at a time (which is what my dc end up doing now). The table is overrun w/ books then and everybody fights b/c so-and-so has his/her books in "my spot", etc. I'm liking your system. So, I'm guessing you just have the bindings cut off? Thanks. Now, if I could just get THIS year's work organized into a portfolio. Motivation.just.not.there.

Okay...off to pick strawberries...our last field trip of the "official" school year!

I, too, am contemplating doing this. My question is also more of a logistical one. I am trying to decide a couple of things: do I want to organize by subject or week and exactly what materials will work best in putting the binder together? I had thought about pocketed dividers (slash pockets) holding a week's worth of work on each side. Do you three hole punch the papers and put them in the binder or do you use page protectors. Ultimately, I know I will have to just go with what works best for us, but I am curious as to how you guys will be assembling the work.

I'm putting everything in a binder- workbooks are being torn up or cut (whatever needs to happen) so that everything is contained in 1 binder. Non-consumable programs will have blank notebook paper put in with the intended lesson # on them.

The quarter binder will have these tabs

Bible

Math

Latin

French

Writing (will contain handwriting too)

Spelling (Phonic is the same tab)

History

Science

Logic

The only separate thing will be dd's poetry notebook b/c I want that to be 1 notebook that will contain every year's poetry for review purposes. Her poetry notebook will have tabs for each year 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. through 12th.

I did use the double sided pockets but I don't think I'll include those in this. Everything will be 3 hole punched and put into the binders. If they rip, I'll use hole reinforcers, but I hope dd will want to continue with daily folders so I'll pull the week's work out of her quarter binder and put it into daily folders each week. I don't want to use page protectors b/c they stick out in the notebook.

I'll post about it with pictures after we move and I have a chance to do it.

T-minus 2 weeks to move day...

• 9 months later...

Yes, the only thing that has been a pain is Prima Latina b/c there questions from the beginning of the lessons and we've had to look in our 1st and 2nd quarter notebooks for the answers. Of course, if I was requiring memorization that wouldn't be an issue but given life's circumstances this year, I haven't done that. Other than that, the binders have been great and we've done our lessons in many places...away from the house, outside in the yard, etc.