Menu

Seeking Math Curricula Recommedations

My 11 year old is below average in math because of processing problems, and has a private tutor. He goes to school, and has private tutors both at school and at home. But I would like the tutor to work with him on something more structured. What recommendations would you have, and why? Math U See? Singapore Maths? Other? His verbal IQ is low, but his non-verbal IQ is good-average, though my guess is that he needs less words and more visuals in the instruction. Singapore maths looks very "wordy", so I'm not sure about that, though one of my friends raves about it.

Thanks in advance!

My DD is some math processing problems. We floundered around with Abeka, MUS, and Saxon from 1st - 4th grade. She's now in 6th. We are finding (knock wood) that Math Mammoth is a good fit. The explanations are clear and start with concrete examples (and pictures). We are using the Light Blue (I think) which is the full curriculum, a grade at a time. There is also a grouping of math subjects by topic which you can get. This allows you to pick specific topics - maybe to go with what the rest of the class is doing?

Sandra

My DD is some math processing problems. We floundered around with Abeka, MUS, and Saxon from 1st - 4th grade. She's now in 6th. We are finding (knock wood) that Math Mammoth is a good fit. The explanations are clear and start with concrete examples (and pictures). We are using the Light Blue (I think) which is the full curriculum, a grade at a time. There is also a grouping of math subjects by topic which you can get. This allows you to pick specific topics - maybe to go with what the rest of the class is doing?

Sandra

MM can move too quickly for some students. We are toward the end of 2A and are having to switch to something that moves more slowly.