Menu

Would you allow your history-hating child to...

AimeeM

...step "out of order" with history?

Say you have a child who hates history. Sincerely hates it and dreads it daily. You've tried SOTW, CHOW, Usborne Encyclopedias, etc. She enjoys MP's Famous Men (finally), but she wants to study the Middle Ages, not Rome (where she should be).

Do I let her step out of order; in order to find SOME hope that she will find SOME enjoyment in history EVENTUALLY?

I could let her use VP's Online History for the Middle Ages, and then supplement with a chronological read aloud; either CHOW or Seton's World History series (because I do worry about VP's Protestant spin a bit).

Would you let your history hater take more of an interest led approach to history?

Totally - but I am not planning to stick to a 4 year cycle either. History is probably one area where I don't plan to really stick to the WTM recommendations...I am sure someone who is sticking to it would say NO, they wouldn't deviate. We personally prefer doing Unit Studies for History and LOVE it that way so far!

Important note:

We aren't die hard classical homeschoolers. We prefer for science and math to take center stage (nobody shoot me please!).

I do, however, see how it seems logical to do a chronological study of history... in general. Just not for this kid possibly...

Yes. I heard a lecture by SWB in which she said that history should be one of the areas where you should have some "fun" and you should feel free to throw out all your plans if your child fines a person or event that really interests them. I'm pretty sure this is the lecture: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/great-books-history-as-literature-mp3.html

You can always get the Famous Men Middle Ages, if that's a series she enjoys.

I would love for history to be more independent for her. She is dyslexic, so all of her other subjects are very teacher intensive. I'm tired of the history battles :glare:

Yes. I heard a lecture by SWB in which she said that history should be one of the areas where you should have some "fun" and you should feel free to throw out all your plans if your child fines a person or event that really interests them. I'm pretty sure this is the lecture: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/great-books-history-as-literature-mp3.html

You can always get the Famous Men Middle Ages, if that's a series she enjoys.

I would love for history to be more independent for her. She is dyslexic, so all of her other subjects are very teacher intensive. I'm tired of the history battles :glare:

I would agree to move on, but depending on age would have her listen to the Famous Men of Series, up to where she should be. It's awesome that you can just download the series and burn to cd or put on an i-pod for her. :) I got mine of Librovox. My son will listen to it, as he loves history.... It would... for sure... be easier than reading it all. Then... just move on to where she wants to be. I really love SOTW, too.... and so we just listen to it all!! :)

Oh absolutely. I am a person who likes to follow a sequence, who likes to know what came first. But this approach was killing my son's love of history. Now we follow his interests and do it out of order. I am sure the larger connections can be made later on.

Is reading difficult for her? I don't know much about dyslexia. Maybe she hates history because it's so much reading. Have you tried books on CD so she could listen to history?

In answer to your original question, I wouldn't hesitate to go out of order to minimize the battles and maximize her enjoyment and learning.

If she's still homeschooling next year, we will do an overview of world history and geography with Catholic Textbook Project's books...

So I think maybe I will just let her do interest led for now. I needed permission, I suppose :D

Thanks ladies!

She is dyslexic but it actually doesn't effect her reading much. She reads and comprehends on grade level (a bit above actually). The dyslexia is most telling in her spelling and writing.

She does hate reading, but I read the books to her. The problem? She has auditory processing issues as well.

The "catch22"... She hates reading but is a very strong visual learner; she needs to read it, write it, and do it all over again in order to retain it. Unfortunately.

I'm beginning to think that history is going to be a crapshot this year :tongue_smilie:

Is reading difficult for her? I don't know much about dyslexia. Maybe she hates history because it's so much reading. Have you tried books on CD so she could listen to history?

In answer to your original question, I wouldn't hesitate to go out of order to minimize the battles and maximize her enjoyment and learning.

She is dyslexic but it actually doesn't effect her reading much. She reads and comprehends on grade level (a bit above actually). The dyslexia is most telling in her spelling and writing.

She does hate reading, but I read the books to her. The problem? She has auditory processing issues as well.

The "catch22"... She hates reading but is a very strong visual learner; she needs to read it, write it, and do it all over again in order to retain it. Unfortunately.

I'm beginning to think that history is going to be a crapshot this year :tongue_smilie:

Bummer. I have a son who has to work twice as hard as everyone else for the same results. I tell him it's character building. But some days it just really stinks!