Menu

So, the big question is what to do about it?

For some reason, there are more than a few threads about the lack of a good education the "masses" are getting. This is not to bash public schools, but think about it; if what we are seeing in small amounts (about public school students not getting educated well) is actually a much larger problem, what is that going to do to the future of our country? If homeschoolers, good private schools, and good public schools make up a small majority of students getting a good education (decent literacy- ability to understand applications, ability to read at more than 8th grade, writing ability - beyond tweets and text messages - the ability to write a well thought paper , ability to do math beyond balancing a checkbook), how can our country expect to survive as a democracy? As a "super power"?

Already colleges are providing more and more remedial courses because their students are not getting the basics in their schools. Could part of our nation's personal debt problem really be that people do not have the education to even understand what the credit card bill even says about their balance? Or what a mortgage application really means? Or if what a political candidate makes sense or is just a bunch of empty promises that would never hold up?

So, the million dollar question is, what can we do beyond just educating our own children? Is there anything that can be done? And I don't believe political action is necessarily the place to go - it seems as if the wind changes too quickly and too often in that area!

Beth

I don't have all the answers. For instance, I have zero clue what to do about all the children in desperate family situations, and all the children with learning disabilities that I don't understand. I think it is in our best interest to support government initiatives that address these issues. I think we need to find the time, become informed and involved, starting at the local level but being aware of Washington, too.

I think homeschooling can contribute to a better future, if we do a good job. I believe that sending four well-educated young men out into the world will help our nation. Four young men who are capable of working and providing for their own. Four young voters who understand the issues and can be involved. Four future fathers who will really care about the education of the next generation. Four men ready to compete in a global marketplace and participate in a global exchange of ideas. That's my contribution, and it is more than nothing.

I am very interested in starting a classical, cottage, or UMS school after my own children are grown. I've heard other homeschool parents share the same dream, so it will be interesting to see if that happens in the next decade or so.

If every homeschool mother who succeeds finds her own way to help, we will see change. Some of our certified teachers need to go back to school when their kids are grown, and apply what they've learned as homeschool moms. Some of our homeschool moms need to get on the school board. Some need to run for public office. Some need to help their churches start effective private Christian schools. Some need to start the first secular UMS.

I think that we do have a responsibility to help.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
tmi