Menu

After Visual Latin?

DragonFaerie

DD is doing Visual Latin I this year as her first exposure to Latin. She really likes it but I'm not sure how much she's really retaining. We'll finish out the year with it but I'm trying to decide what to do next. My question is two-fold. If we do Visual Latin II next year (I and II together equate to one year of high school Latin), then what do I do the year after that? They recommend Lingua Latina but as DD will only be in 6th grade then, I'm not sure she'd be ready for that. I'm looking for some kind of Latin II course to use in between maybe.

The other option is that I can do something in between Visual Latin I and II, and then follow that with Lingua Latina for her fourth year. I was looking at Lively Latin but I don't know where that might fit in with what we're already doing. VL I, then LL I, then VL II, then LL 2 then Lingua Latina? What do ya'll think? Suggestions?

A third option would be to use Lively Latin together with Visual Latin and just stretch it all out over a few years. Hmm... that's a thought.....

The best I can tell, they are going to have VL I, which is 30 lessons, and then VL II, which will also be 30 lessons (I think). The two combined equate to one year of high school Latin.

I just saw on the Lively Latin website where books 1 and 2 together create a three-year study of Latin. So conceivably, those books, along with VL 1 and 2 should make a four-year Latin study. Then I can finish out with Lingua Latina in year 5. Right?

The best I can tell, they are going to have VL I, which is 30 lessons, and then VL II, which will also be 30 lessons (I think). The two combined equate to one year of high school Latin.

I just saw on the Lively Latin website where books 1 and 2 together create a three-year study of Latin. So conceivably, those books, along with VL 1 and 2 should make a four-year Latin study. Then I can finish out with Lingua Latina in year 5. Right?

We must think alike, because though I have not implemented LL yet, it's on my "soon to purchase" list!

Sounds good to me!

Well, I decided to go for it. I ordered Lively Latin, mostly b/c DD said she likes the idea of mixing the two programs. If I plan accordingly, I think we'll get four years of Latin study out of these two programs and then we'll use Lingua Latina for the 5th (and final) year. Cross your fingers for us! :001_smile: