Menu

Math Advice

happy-hs

I could use some math advice. :)

My 8yo (3rd grade) has always enjoyed math and I'd say he's on the "advanced" side. He is finishing up TT7 and will be done within weeks. He is also using LoF Pre-A Set and Becoming a Problem Solving Genius by Ed Zaccaro. He is flying through both and loving them.

My plan was to let him start TT Pre-A after he finished TT7 in a few weeks, but he is getting bored with TT and has asked for a change. He wants to keep using LoF and Problem Solving Genius, but he would like a new book in place of TT.

I'd like to let him switch if that's what he wants, but I am not sure what to move into. I've looked into Singapore because it gets such rave reviews. We looked over the placements tests together and I'm guessing that he'd be in the 6A-B books right now (simply because he knows everything on the 5A-B tests). Of course, I'd have him actually take the tests to be sure that the placement was correct.

I've also considered AoPS. I've heard the Pre-A book is too advanced for young kids though so I have held off. (Anyone want to address this issue in particular?) I've heard there is a AoPS book or course for younger kids, but I haven't researched it much yet.

Can anyone recommend these or other programs for a young, "mathy" kid?

Thanks!

Melissa :)

I would place him into SM based on the tests, then use the CWP and IP along with the text for that level. I would be tempted to start him on Pre-A in 4th (we're likely going to begin AoPS Pre-A in 5th). You can try some Alcumus problems for fun --DS loves them--that might provide more challenge. Khan Academy is filled with tons of wonderful videos and challenging problems where kids can earn points and badges.

FWIW, TT is not generally considered the best choice for a mathy child.

Thanks for your swift response and great ideas. I've read your blog and I have really enjoyed it. :)

I have read that TT is not for a "mathy" kid, but he was enjoying it and we were using other programs to supplement so I didn't mind. Now that it's not working for him, it's time for a change.

I have been leaning towards Singapore so maybe I will go that route with him. I also appreciate your feedback on AoPS. Even though he is young, I think he would enjoy the Pre-A book and be ready for it in the near future.

Thanks again!

I know someone who is working on AoPS pre-algebra and the Alcumus problems with his 8yo daughter. I know someone else with a 9yo son who used Saxon (just talked through the instruction pages & did a few problems) and is now doing Calculus. I think it depends on your child, and there's no harm in trying the advanced program as long as you're willing to go at the child's pace (including the possibility of slowing down) or to let go of the program for the time being if it isn't a good fit yet. But there are definitely people who are using AoPS with younger kids.

:)

Thank you all for your great advice. I think we'll try Singapore 6. I'm also going to buy AoPS Pre-A. We'll look over it together and use it whenever he's ready.

For SM users... What do you use after 6? It looks like the books 1-4 are actually 7-11 grade. Do you move into those or switch programs?

Thanks!