Menu

CW Primer Q - lesson length

LMD

Just a practical question about how people use the Classical Writing Primer.

We'll be starting this soon with my DD, who is finishing up 1st and starting 2nd grade in 2012.

I'm just curious how it actually looks practically, day to day. I know each home will be different, but I'm thinking about planning for next year and I'm curious!

Do you do the 4 days schedule as laid out? Do you do each day's lessons in one block? How long does a lesson generally take? Do you skip/substitute any parts?

ummm, I think that's all the questions I have atm! :lol: Thanks!

Well my order just arrived - SUPER IMPRESSED Lulu! I placed my order 11/5 and it arrived today 11/10, I'm in Australia remember. I've never had an international order arrive so quickly!

Anyway, for the one person who replied ;) It looks really good. Each day has copywork (dictation day 4) and a spelling/grammar lesson. Then days 1 & 3 have a narration lesson, 2 - Nature study, 4 - picture study. I'll probably set aside 30mins for each day's lesson.

:)

Edited by LMD

I just ordered the Winter Primer, so I haven't used it yet. but here is why I choose CW over FLL.

CW looks more CM based. It uses the Bible. It had picture study of famous artists instead of line drawings. That was important to me. It also has nature study. It is not as focused on grammar which is fine with me because I am doing R&S orally at present. I like that it reviews phonograms. With FLL, I would need to add WWE. With CW, I can keep using R&S which I really like.

What I really wanted was a modernized version of PLL. A PLL with out all the Victorian pictures and up to date questions dealing with our present society, not questions about blacksmiths and such.

I looked at Queens Language Lessons, but it still looked like it was made for a dc who lived in the Victorian age.

I have used FLL and liked it. I think both programs are great. Just a personal preference.

What I really wanted was a modernized version of PLL... with out all the Victorian pictures and up to date questions dealing with our present society, not questions about blacksmiths and such.

Queens Language Lessons...looked like it was made for a dc who lived in the Victorian age.

:iagree:totally! "When Children Love to Learn" points out that Charlotte Mason materials SHOULD have contemporary illustrations, because the ideas are as modern and relevant as ever, but there is this movement towards rosy-looking Victorian mothers and babies that can be more than a little cloying, and off-putting when choosing curriculum modern kids can relate to.

Anyway, I guess I'm curious because I like FLL but... well, I still don't love it. Anyone else want to share ideas about why they chose CW??? :bigear:

I have FLL1, I like it in theory, but in practice I just don't. I guess it's a combination of things. DD doesn't do that well with only auditory stuff - and neither do I. Also, I'd probably compare CW Primer to WWE rather than FLL, the grammar in CW primer is meant to be a supplement only. FLL felt a bit clinical to me, I liked SWB's theories on teaching grammar to the children but it didn't feel right in practice, CW looks more enjoyable and relevent for us. As for WWE, we have 1 week to go of level 1 and we have enjoyed it. We'll start the primers afterwards.

WWE1 has been fine, no complaints. However I chose CW, because it is beautiful! Because it seems to me to be a lovely marrying of Classical and CM styles (which is the line I always end up walking...). I also like the layout, the passage selections, that it includes the nature/picture study that I just never end up getting to otherwise... I also like the looks of the higher CW levels a lot so I decided to jump on board from the beginning.

umm, this has been rather off the top of my head... if I think of more reasons I'll let you know - especially as we dig in to the lessons! :)