Menu

"Normal wear and tear" in a rental house includes....

?

We've never rented before this house. What are we responsible for fixing? There are some touch up paint areas and our the back covered porch (smallish) could use a repaint- we have a dog, they have red dirt. :)

There is also a veg/fruit drawer in the fridge that I think we cracked. Do I have to replace it, or can they just take the replacement cost out of our deposit?

Thanks.

Jo

We rent a house out and the paint on the porch is definitely wear and tear unless it was less than 6 months. The fridge drawer could go either way. I've never charged for stuff like that.

We've always had a separate cleaning charge for a house that is totally filthy (even made up a word "untenantable") and a deposit for damages. We've never had to charge either but were close with a smoker. Pets "marking" in the house would be an issue also. Both require major cleaning before a new tenant.

Damages would be broken windows, holes in walls, frozen pipes because tenant didn't keep the heat on, and stuff like that.

OTOH, a little paint and a $20 drawer could create a lot of good will.

We rent a house out and the paint on the porch is definitely wear and tear unless it was less than 6 months. The fridge drawer could go either way. I've never charged for stuff like that.

We've always had a separate cleaning charge for a house that is totally filthy (even made up a word "untenantable") and a deposit for damages. We've never had to charge either but were close with a smoker. Pets "marking" in the house would be an issue also. Both require major cleaning before a new tenant.

Damages would be broken windows, holes in walls, frozen pipes because tenant didn't keep the heat on, and stuff like that.

OTOH, a little paint and a $20 drawer could create a lot of good will.

Our dog is an outside dog- he's huge and it was the arrangement for us to be to rent. So no markings--:D

Question: Do you expect the home to be professionally cleaned by the tenant before moving out? The house is quite clean. But I haven't done a lot of furniture moving in our 5 months here.

Honestly, I'm not sure our landlords have a policy- this house is usually a vacation rental so I think they factor that into the price. I will certainly have it as spit spot as possible- but how deep under the beds and behind couches am I expected to go?;) What is your expectation?

Thanks.

Normal wear and tear would be minor nicks and dings on the walls/corners. The paint fading. Small scuffs on the floors.

This is exactly what we have. The corners just seem a little dinked. Nothing major, but noticeable.

I did call the landlord as soon as the termites showed up. He seems pretty laid back...but the way things are going for me these days I just want to be prepared.

Thanks for your input.

jo

?

We've never rented before this house. What are we responsible for fixing? There are some touch up paint areas and our the back covered porch (smallish) could use a repaint- we have a dog, they have red dirt. :)

There is also a veg/fruit drawer in the fridge that I think we cracked. Do I have to replace it, or can they just take the replacement cost out of our deposit?

Thanks.

Jo

We've only rented once, and they tried to keep 1/2 of our deposit for cleaning, painting, and carpet cleaning.

Since we received the other 1/2 of our deposit and an explanation nearly a month after we moved out instead of the 2 weeks the contract allowed, I immediately wrote a letter to the owners.

In it I included a copy of the walk-through sheet from when we moved in where I noted the dirt smudges and scratches in the paint. We weren't going to pay to re-paint damage someone else had done.

I had cleaned the house thoroughly before we moved out and the on-site manager couldn't be bothered to check out the apartment with us when we turned in the key. We weren't going to pay for cleaning.

Carpet cleaning? We lived in the house for three months while we were waiting to close on another house. Carpet was vacuumed regularly, no spills, etc. Nope, we weren't paying for carpet cleaning either.

I did note that the manager's excuse that "the owners are out of town" when we asked after two weeks where our deposit was just wasn't acceptable. Would they have accepted that excuse for late rent? I don't think so.

Two days later we got the remainder of our deposit in the mail. No note or nothing. LOL. I later found out that we could have sued for treble damages for the late deposit refund. I was just satisfied to get what we were owed.

I'm so glad you asked this.

We have some nicks and dings. Broken blinds that we'll replace. A little marker on some walls, but there is touch-up paint here.

However, one of my kids managed to tear a small patch of wallpaper off one of the bathroom walls, and we can't find a matching replacement.

And, there are stains on the carpet. We've been here two years, with four boys, two cats, and light colored carpet. Yes, there are stains.

I plan to get the carpets professionally cleaned, but I do not believe all the stains will come out. Will the landlord want us to pay for new carpet?

Great post, I'm wondering the same thing. We put up some closet shelving and my husband, who is a drywaller, will be fixing the holes that were caused by those. But we dont' feel it is necessary to paint as the landlord will be going over that anyway. Any input on that?

Meanwhile, we've cleaned the basement...which was a mess when we got here...but nonetheless...and will wash down the walls etc. My irritation is that the house was not in any great shape when we got here. We had to do MAJOR amounts of cleaning rust spots out of the toilet and fixtures...we even rented a water softener. And also the tub has leaked continually through the calking. It's fixed for a few months but then because the tub is not level cracks again. Again we call...we have told them that they have a HUGE issue with water coming through the ceiling but it's never been properly fixed in the three years we've been here. I really fear that will be a problem for us, through no fault of our own.

Ah, and now reading the other comment...wallpaper is peeling in the bathroom because the venting system is worthless and water literally DRIPS down the walls...ugh...I don't want to have to pay for someone else's mistake, KWIM?

Would it be appropriate to ask what needs to be done, a written list??

Thanks,

M

I plan to get the carpets professionally cleaned, but I do not believe all the stains will come out. Will the landlord want us to pay for new carpet?

You might be surprised - we were HUGELY surprised with our light gray/white berber. Spotless (after we tried our hoover steam cleaner), and the nap was lifted, and overall, it looked NEW. People mentioned the new carpet at our open houses!

Hopefully you will have similar results!