Menu

Anything similar to Dithor but better?

happycc

I like the idea of having a "reading guide" to the different genres and books to go with it with comprehension questions.

I think that is what the ditthor is about. But I want something also that introduces the literary terms as well.

Great Source's Reader's Handbook

Walch's Toolbook Series: Prose and Poetry

My oldest used the Walch book and I have one of the Reader's Handbooks on my shelf for reference. These two have been good resources for my family, but it doesn't sound like they are exactly what you are wanting.

My youngest is currently using one of the EDCON Classic Worktexts and it is nice. They contain an adaption of a classic story broken down into 10 chapters. This may or may not work for you.

It sounds like you are looking for a study guide that covers a specific book. Hewitt Homeschooling- Lightning Lit, Veritas Press and Progeny Press publish literature guides. One of these may meet your needs.

HTH-

Mandy

Drawn Into the Heart of Reading works in part because it is fairly open-ended, allowing the student to choose what they want within genre restrictions. However, this does make it difficult to talk about literary techniques that may or may not be present in a particular work.

The recommendation above to use something like Figuratively Speaking may be just what you need. Alternately, you could also choose to vary your reading occasionally with required reading that includes a literary concept you want your child to learn. HINT: There are very few literary techniques done in prose that are not also found (and usually more abundantly) in poetry. Poetry reading can be fairly short and simple and still cover a concept (such as imagery or metonymy). See here for a few resources that could help you supplement DITHOR, as well as checking out these two pages.

For your high schoolers, have you considered challenging them with some college material? Essential Literary Terms: A Norton Guide with Exercises certainly looks interesting. In my AP English class, we had to memorize the entire glossary at the end of Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense. It was surprisingly useful to me as a lit major later. (The link is to the pricey new edition, but I have no idea why the version I used, which after all was printed in 1993, not 1903, wouldn't work just as well for a whole lot cheaper.) Of course, if your children aren't terribly interested in literature, this could very well be overkill.

Finally, you could always check out what Rainbow Resources has to offer in their "TEACHING LITERARY ELEMENTS / GENRES" section.

• 2 months later...
I like the idea of having a "reading guide" to the different genres and books to go with it with comprehension questions.

I think that is what the ditthor is about. But I want something also that introduces the literary terms as well.

DITHOR/HOD covers ALL literary terms and teaches kids to analyze literature through a very discerning eye. It is a full program that teaches what you are asking for and can be used all the way to 9th grade b/c it's very strong. It's far more complete than any other program I've seen. And far easier to use as well! Love that I can teach all my kids lit at once then still meet each right where they are with their own books and workbook level.

Edited by hmschooling