Menu

Horse people - a question about a beginner saddle

We have promised my daughter a saddle for christmas.

Would you go for the beginner saddle at the top of the attached link or is there a compelling reason to go for a better quality saddle? The saddle with no extras would cost R1000 (around US $ 130). The next saddle up starts at around US$ 300.

The rider is a small almost 12yo girl who would be using it for show-jumping (currently up to 80cm ~ 31 inches), dressage and eventing.

The saddle would be stored in a shared tack room where not everyone takes equally good care of each other's stuff.

For resale alone, get a better quality. A wintec is money well spent-they are a quality yet inexpensive saddle. A wintec AP shouldn't cost much at all; comparable to what you posted here.

Also consider used quality saddles like a pessoa, crosby, or stubben, at least those are some that I know. I'm not up on all the english saddle makers. There are others here that will know more. Some might turn their nose up at a wintec so know where you stand with that, I guess. It's a synthetic but if winning shows/tradition is important you might want to get a more traditional leather saddle.

Here's a used crosby for $175, get a saddlemaker to clean this up and it will look a lot better than it does here and you will get your money back out of it when she outgrows it.

http://www.tacktrader.com/show_item.php?tack_id=404164&share_this=Y

A quality used will be a much better saddle than an inexpensive new one-the leather won't feel like plastic, the tree will be better, the fittings stronger, the stitching better, and resale will hold up.

Make sure you fit the horse she rides the most-don't get too narrow of a tree unless she rides a narrow horse....

Personally I would not get that saddle for a 12 yr old. I have a small similar one we used when dd was 7, but at 12 they need better contact.

What is shipping like for you from say Dover saddlery, Stateline tack, or Ebay UK? You need a medium tree, unless she has a very specific horse she is riding this with. I second the "nicer" synthetics, so long as they are not treeless.

Please feel free to post more links with questions. :D

I second this crosby! A decent saddle shop could probably add knee blocks as well. This saddle will last her a long time and she could literally save it for her kids! Ask me how I know ;)

For resale alone, get a better quality. A wintec is money well spent-they are a quality yet inexpensive saddle. A wintec AP shouldn't cost much at all; comparable to what you posted here.

Also consider used quality saddles like a pessoa, crosby, or stubben, at least those are some that I know. I'm not up on all the english saddle makers. There are others here that will know more. Some might turn their nose up at a wintec so know where you stand with that, I guess. It's a synthetic but if winning shows/tradition is important you might want to get a more traditional leather saddle.

Here's a used crosby for $175, get a saddlemaker to clean this up and it will look a lot better than it does here and you will get your money back out of it when she outgrows it.

http://www.tacktrader.com/show_item.php?tack_id=404164&share_this=Y

A quality used will be a much better saddle than an inexpensive new one-the leather won't feel like plastic, the tree will be better, the fittings stronger, the stitching better, and resale will hold up.

Make sure you fit the horse she rides the most-don't get too narrow of a tree unless she rides a narrow horse....