Menu

Need advice on how to handle a relationship with a dying relative

A cousin of mine is loosing her battle with cancer (she is actually my mom's cousin). She posted a final good bye on facebook today. I don't know her that well, but my heart just aches for her. I don't know what I should be doing and wanted advice. She is in her late 30s and is married to my cousin (long story but they are married cousins, not first cousin) and they have a 9 year old daughter (she also has a 20 year old son). I have had little contact with her besides facebook and 14 years ago she lived near by. We are friendly on facebook and she even post "Love ya" the other day, but I have no contact with my cousin (her husband) anymore (they were in town visiting this summer and didn't even tells us-I don't understand why). I don't know if I should message her, send her a card, call her, or what. They live about a day's drive away. Do I go to the funeral? I think my mom would go, but my mom is having surgery, so she won't be able to travel for two months and I don't know how much longer my cousin has, she just posted that she 'feels like it is time'. Her spirits seem good in her post. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the situation. I want to say just pray for the family and forget about it since they have had little contact with us, but that doesn't feel right. Also, any ideas on memorial gifts to send once she does pass.

It's okay to send a message. It doesn't matter that it's been a long while without contact. I'm sure she'd be happy to hear from you.

It would be meaningful for you to recount happy times together or to tell her what you appreciate about her.

Don't make any promises for seeing her or otherwise. It's fine just to send your love. She'll be happy to hear from you.

:grouphug:

It's okay to send a message. It doesn't matter that it's been a long while without contact. I'm sure she'd be happy to hear from you.

It would be meaningful for you to recount happy times together or to tell her what you appreciate about her.

Don't make any promises for seeing her or otherwise. It's fine just to send your love. She'll be happy to hear from you.

:grouphug:

:iagree: I think she would appreciate just a friendly note telling her your thoughts and feelings.