Menu

Debra Bell's middle school class

Just wondering if anyone else has done her online class for middle schoolers. It is the 15 week course online called Middle School Tools for English Excellence.

It is 275.00 so I'm hesitant because of the cost but my 8th grade daughter needs someone else looking at her writing and thought this looked like something that would really expand her writing abilities.

Guest jules909

We are using Middle School Tools now and it has been a great experience for my 7th grader. It's been wonderful for my child to get feedback on papers from a teacher who obviously knows her stuff. Comments are helpful and encouraging, yet still provide the guidance needed for improvement. Not only are there writing assignments, but also practice on some weak grammar points she notices in the general writing assignments of the class. Having someone else critique papers has been a huge blessing for us. I would definately reccommend this class.

FYI..There is usually one writing assignment per week. We still do other language arts (grammar, spelling, vocabulary, etc) outside of this class. The class focuses mostly on writing mechanics and style. It's not a "heavy load"...very manageable to fit in to our normal schedule. Hope this helps.

jules:)

• 1 month later...

I'm also checking into this class for my 7th grader. Does anyone know if the the 2nd semester class listed on Debra Bell's website is a continuation of 1st semester class or a stand-alone class? Is there an online "live" component to the class?

Jules, Can you elaborate on her approach to teaching writing? You mentioned her comments are helpful and provide the guidance needed for improvement. Can you give an example from your child's writing assignment to illustrate this point? For example, I was perusing Bravewriter's website last night and came across the following excerpt about feedback from an instructor:

Bees

In the woods of Ohio, a bee hive hung from one of the trees.

I'm intrigued already. I like that you were specific about which woods, because woods in Washington or Europe would've been very different. I think you could punch up this sentence by adding just one or two descriptive words. What kind of woods were these? Dark, creepy, warm, bright? The adjective you choose can set the mood. Also, what kind of tree is this? Dead, rotting, towering, thriving...

I found that type of feedback very constructive!

I've been researching various options and there are lots of good ones out there. Now I have to discern which would best fit my daughter's needs so it's always great to get feedback from someone who has experience with a particular class.

Thanks!