Menu

Favorite science books for an independent-reader?

Sevilla

DS is really interested in science topics and I'd like to get him some books from the library. I've found a few 'how does this work' books, but by and large they were a bit too basic (think one sentence per page). He'd like books with a paragraph or two per page and good illustrations/pictures.

Links? Suggestions? Thanks!

I'm sure you'll get many great responses. My first thought: get as many of the Let's Read and Find Out series as you can afford or find at the library. Some are better than others, but these would be a great addition to any K-3 library. Usborne has many great titles for this age group as well, including lift the flap books that have great reader appeal and fairly sophisticated information. We love the brain book.

The Basher books may be a good bet. Maybe slightly texty and the illustrations are cartoonish and silly, but some great information and presented in a fun way.

Richard Hammond is an author we've had a couple of books out by - Can You Feel the Force? and Car Science. Both with nice glossy pictures and a good amount of depth and text.

The Elements by Theodore Gray is a glossy adult book about the elements that is just amazing. I think really science motivated readers might enjoy dipping in and out of it.

The "Cool Stuff" series is good and many kids really like it - glossy, pretty pictures, but with some depth. Too blurby for my taste, but good for independent readers.

The Way Things Work and the others in that series by David Macauley - classics.

National Geographic has some nice longer books but I'm having trouble finding them. I know we had this one about the em spectrum, but I'm not remembering any other titles at the moment... Oh wait, found it. They have a more recent series called Science Quest that I've seen - great stuff.

This is one about bioluminescence that I thought was really cool.

On the easier end (though not quite as simple as a Let's Read and Find Out) are the Robert Wells science books - maybe too easy though. And National Geographic also has a whole series of science easy readers, as does Usborne. So if I gauged too hard - start there instead!

The Scholastic Question and Answer Series has some gems. They are considerably more in-depth than Let's Read and Find Out. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Scholastic-Question-Answer-Stars-Points/dp/0439085705/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320065876&sr=1-1

You might as well get the Periodic Table book Farrar suggested, at least form the library. You are going end up with it eventually. Even if the text is a little advanced for right now, the pictures are outstanding. YOU'LL like perusing this book with your child, and on your own. It's a great gift book.