Menu

Lightning Literature 7 Question

HollyDay

We are planning on using LL 7 next year. They have a literature pack with "5 of the required books included". I can get Rikki Tikki Tavi from our library. But I am having some trouble with The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky. It is OOP? Are there any other books required for this course that are not included in the Lit Pack (Tom Sawyer, All Creatures Great and Small, Alice in WOnderland, Poetry, and Hellen Keller)? Thanks!!!!

Not sure where you are seeing it that you need a sperate book titled: Rikki Tikki Tavi.

It is one of the stories in the poems & stories book (1 big thick book). As are many of the other suggested readings. Are you trying to find the books separately from the Stories and Poems book? If so, you don't need to do that. :)

HTH's~Tina

Hi Holly,

LL7 has 8 units:

- 2 units cover novels (Tom Sawyer; Alice; All Creatures) -- each a separate book

- 1 unit covers autobiography (Helen Keller) -- a separate book

- 2 units cover short stories (Rikki Tikki and Bride Comes...) -- both in an anthology

- 2 units cover poems (each unit covers 6-8 poems) -- all in the same anthology

BOTH of the short stories and ALL of the poems are found in the one anthology book that is part of the literature pack. The anthology is the book entitled: "Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children of All Ages" by Harold Bloom.

What will certainly be easiest on you is to purchase that anthology, so you won't have to track down 2 short stories and 12-14 poems. If you didn't want to purchase the anthology from Hewitt Homeschooling, you can find the anthology cheaper/used at amazon.com ($10.88 new + $4 shipping, or as low as $2.49 + $4 shipping from the used books through amazon).

While you can also save money by hunting down the short stories and poems at the library, you may seriously want to consider purchasing the anthology, as it is also used for LL8 for 3 short stories, and 3 units on poetry (each with about 6 poems).

No other materials are required by LL7: the 4 longer works, and the 1 anthology which contains all the short stories and poems. Hope that helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Rikki Tikki Tavi is the first story read. I was able to get that online and print it out. The next is Tom Sawyer, you need the books.

I was able to get all the books off bookmooch free, except the stories and poems. I had to order that from Amazon, hence I didn't get it in time to read rikki tikki tavi, so I printed it off the web. I don't think you want to bother to do that for each poem and short story though, even if available. Buy the book stories and poems as recommended. Then you will have everything you need.

If you do happen to get Rikki Tikki Tavi from the library or another source, make sure you get the correct version. I did not and my dd had a difficult time answering the comprehension questions. I downloaded the correct version off the net and haven't had any other trouble.

I've found most of the poems online, for free.