Menu

How's This.....11th grade

First, let me say we're more traditionalist than classical, I think.

English (both semesters CC, supplement with good literature at home)

History (US History, both semesters at CC)

Draw Squad or Complete-a-Sketch for art

Calculus BC using Thinkwell and the JHU schedule shared the other day (thanks!)

AP Computer Science A through Keystone (still looking at options, but).

And Physics--either AP Physics B through Keystone or TW Physics I or EPGY or what about Saxon? I just don't know! Please share any great ideas here

And then 17-20 hours per week of volunteer work.

She'll also visit the Spanish Congregation to USE the Spanish she spent 3 years learning. But we're not doing Spanish IV....I think :willy_nilly:

And that is it. Though the courses are tougher, this is a much lighter schedule than she has had the past 3 years. I also love that we're using someone else's scheduling for the most part. She has done well with doing her own figuring based on mom's ground rules but I think it's good to get other people's rules the next two years.

Weird thought here that you can totally ignore -- your dd looks like she is heading in the math/science direction, no? Even engineering schools like foreign languages.....

What are her plans for life after high school? Many colleges are happy with only three years of a foreign language, but many prefer four years. Does she have any standardized test results (SAT-II) for her Spanish? Or were some of her Spanish classes out-sourced so she has an "official" grade? I would hate to have a shortage in foreign language hold her back from any college plans she has. (Call any colleges in question so they can provide their opinion!)

Other than a bit of concern about her foreign language, her schedule looks great to me! I hope she has a wonderful year.

She has 3 years, 2 at the local private school. She used BJU. The university program of choice only requires 2 high school credits. I HAVE thought of having her do AP Spanish or something like that or at least a homemade 4th year (platiquemos and going with the Spanish congregation 50-50); I LIKE the idea of her being FLUENT.

I'm gonna have to think about it some more.

At some point it seems like, "there are only so many hours in the day!" If only we didn't have that little problem :)

Whatcha think of Spanish instead of physics or did physics-lite....any physics we did this year would be more of a taste of it, not for credit. I am even less sure of what I'd use for "physics lite" than physics itself. She intends to take Physics at the college in 12th grade.

Thanks

Why are you doing two U.S. history CC courses and two English CC courses? One semester of college work is equivalent to one year of high school. I am also concerned about the taking of AP classes with the college load. When my ds did dual enrollment my dh and I decided that our ds would only take one college class per semester. I think he could have handled two, but not with additional AP courses. However, you know your own child and her abilities. I'd hate for you to have a stressed out child, though. Colleges do look for extracurricular activities too. With all of the college courses and AP courses then there might not be much time left over for outside activities. I do like the idea of your dc incorporating Spanish with going to a Spanish congregation. I wish I had thought of something like that with my ds!

Blessings,