Menu

Help me figure out this skin condition

Last year around this time I started getting this really bumpy, itchy rash on my hands and chest. The area gets red and rough and dry and itches like mad. It's not painful, just itchy and irritating.

Certain lotions/creams help (especially Amlactin or Lubriderm) but not completely.

I've noticed that it completely went away during the summer but now it's back. I'm just at a loss as to what could be causing it. We just started getting cooler weather (lows below freezing, highs in the 40s) and we've started using our wood stove.

Anyone else deal with something that sounds like this? Thanks. :001_smile:

I've had that just earlier on my chest too, it's itchy..but it was gone now, thought it is only because of the heat and sweat..but the case you have, why don't you try consult a dermatologist or something?:)

eczema covers a multitude of sins, but winter and better with emollients points to it. Hands are common, as is chest in the nipple area (on, or ofter around). I'd read up on it, cut back on hot water (do you stand under the shower and let it pound on your chest and back? Backs are tougher), occlusive moisturizing at bedtime, a non-soap wash for hands (and none at all on chest), etc.

eczema covers a multitude of sins, but winter and better with emollients points to it. Hands are common, as is chest in the nipple area (on, or ofter around). I'd read up on it, cut back on hot water (do you stand under the shower and let it pound on your chest and back? Backs are tougher), occlusive moisturizing at bedtime, a non-soap wash for hands (and none at all on chest), etc.

This round it's really only on my hands and I have been washing my hands a LOT in hot water with potty training dd so that would explain a lot. I will look into getting something different for washing my hands. Any suggestions? And thank you so much for your input, very helpful! :D

This round it's really only on my hands and I have been washing my hands a LOT in hot water with potty training dd so that would explain a lot. I will look into getting something different for washing my hands. Any suggestions? And thank you so much for your input, very helpful! :D

I use "no-rinse" soap at work, and pop on some barrier cream the moment I start feeling dry (it is designed to put on old-people-in-diaper's bums). At home (where I don't have hospital supplies) I use scentless moisturizing body wash and apply neutrogenia's Norwegian formula EVERY time. But the mild and every is more important than the brand, I suspect. Also, right before bed I moisten my hands without drying them and apply Aquaphor. I've tried just vaseline and the aquaphor knockoffs, and capital A is better, with vaseline about second (but MUCH cheaper). If you don't want to get your sheets greasy, pop on cotton socks.

I have the same thing and my dermatologist and my regular dr told me it's eczema. It's better in the summer, came back with a vengeance this month. Wearing rubber gloves to wash dishes helps, change your dish soap to something mild (not dawn--I'm using natural stuff right now). Mild soap for hand washing. Lotion all the time.

If anyone's interested, here are some tips and info on eczema.

Red, itchy, inflamed patch or patches of skin

Eczema is a common form of dermatitis

CAUSES

Peela wrote this a while back and I fully agree:

My understanding is that most skin conditions (except an outright rash related to poison ivy sort of thing) originate from an internal condition, especially relating to the liver and/or gut. They express themselves through the skin, but for the most part, they originate in the liver or digestive system.

While creams can be part of a holistic approach and can provide relief and some help, the original cause is related to the liver/digestive system and to actually cure it, that’s where one needs to go. Everything else is dealing with symptoms and not causes.

The liver is our detoxifier, and if it struggles, toxins are expressed through the skin (that is a simplification but generally true).

In naturopathy, you go to the liver and help it along if you want to deal with skin issues.

Considering all the trans fats and chemicals in our modern diet, (and how they affect the liver) and the quality of many people's diets, I would say most skin conditions are definitely related to our modern day environmental and dietary conditions.

There are supplements and foods to eat to help the liver. Liver overload or clogging can cause skin issues as the skin is where toxins come out when the body can't handle them elsewhere.

You can also google “eczema gut†or something similar and follow that trail to find the information you need to heal the gut- but it does involve dietary restriction and change which can be challenging for a child.

I would prefer to see a homeopathic doctor or something like that over a dermatologist. I would hate for steroid creams to be a permanent solution.

EAT LESS

Try a dairy and/or wheat free diet for a while. Cow’s milk is often a culprit.

Many recommend getting food allergy tested.

SUPPLEMENTS

Probiotics

GLA

360 to 400 mg in the form of evening primrose, borage, or black currant seed oil helps trigger fat burning.

It helps with skin problems such as psoriasis and eczema.

For eczema in children 2 - 18 years of age: Evening primrose oil (EPO), 3 grams daily, divided into several smaller doses throughout the day. It is reported that the maximum dose should not be greater than 0.5 gram per kilogram of body weight daily. Talk to your health care provider before using supplements in children.

Adult

For eczema or atopic dermatitis: Evening primrose oil (EPO), 4,000 - 8,000 mg daily, or gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), 2,800 mg daily, both divided into several smaller doses throughout the day.

A good fish oil, such as Carlsons’s

Vitamin D3

Kids under 10 can safely take up to 3000 IU a day

Kids over 10 and anyone older can safely take 10,000 IU a day

Take D3 with a fat-containing meal to increase absorption.

CREAMS AND OTHER METHODS TO TRY

Since I've never had this - I really can't say what will or won't work. This is all from what I've read.

Get grease onto the skin while it’s still wet/moist from bathing.

Bathing should be brief and not hot water, only warm.

Put the grease on the skin in the tub if you have to.

Keep old towels that can get greasy. No big deal!

Any grease will do: A&D Ointment, Crisco, Baby Oil, Vaseline, Aquafor (or however you spell it), put socks and long underwear-style jimmies on right after greasing up. If needed, apply once more to hands when in bed.

Wet Wrap Therapy

Google it.

You soak in a bath a few minutes, apply all the grease (Rx or whatever you normally use), then put a flannel sheet in the warm tub water, wring it out, and wrap it around, then another blanket around, then put her to bed.

Before he's chilled, - a few hours or so, change into jammies. If children are older, they can do this themselves.

This therapy has given some the longest relief and they say that it’s really worth the trouble.

Borage Oil

Sea Buckthorn Oil – Weleda’s Sea Buckthorn Body Lotion (external use)

Sibu’s Sea Buckthorn Omega-7 Skin and Membrane Support

Put whole oats into a sock. Seal it w/a rubber band. Drop it into a warm bath. Have a good soak. The oats contain compounds that calm inflammation

Bleach Baths - many swear by this

1 cup of bleach into a bathtub full of warm water

As a dermatologist said, the bath is really a tiny percentage of chlorine compared to a swimming pool.

You can soak in a bath like this without immersing head or face in water

When you get out of the tub, instead of drying off, put on the cream immediately, greased up from head to toe and then patted dry

Oatmeal based lotions

Jojoba Oil

Double-Rinsing all clothing

Cotton only clothing

Managing Allergies Well (for some, that may mean avoiding the humidifier since they may have strong mold allergies)

Trying out different detergents, shampoos, etc.

The best way to find out what will work for you is trial and error. Do your very, very best to find out why the skin is reacting.

Tea Tree Shampoo – Dr. Bonner’s Castile Liquid Soap with Tea Tree

Jojoba oil

Vanicream

Emu Oil is great for certain skin conditions. Dry patches, eczema may disappear. It doesn't clog the pores so it's fine for people with combo skin.