Menu

R&S English vs Shurley English and what level to start

CathyCDK

We've dabbled in a few English/Grammar courses, but never got very far in any of them. My older girls are now 4th and 6th grade. In considering to finally get serious, should I consider starting at a lower level to get foundation, or is starting at a higher level okay? I'm debating most heavily between R&S English (I have Grades 3, 4, and 5), and Shurley English (I have levels 2 & 3.) I see that some also combine the two.

I also have 3 youngers coming up, with totally different learning styles than my olders.

Could you please help me sort this out?

Thanks!

Cathy

Assuming they're average learners, I'd put the younger in R&S 4, and the older one in R&S 5 at a somewhat faster pace. The 4 book doesn't assume much for previous exposure, but I wouldn't put a fourth grader in the 5 book. For the older one, the 6 book may be a bit hard for someone without a sturdy foundation. You can double up on the easier lessons, and/or do it five days a week to get through the 5 book faster. (They generally have enough lessons in them for four lessons a week.)

I don't have any experience with Shurley, but I wouldn't take them back as far as the levels you listed for it. R&S 4 and 5 will lay a nice foundation.

My younger kids are also a different ballgame, so to speak, but I've found changing the curricula I already had to suit them works better than hunting new curricula.

Well I adore Shurley, but since you've tried both it and R&S, I wouldn't go with either of those. You'd be a good candidate for Growing with Grammar or Analytical Grammar. Your 6th grader could go into AG, and you could just wait and do fun editing workbooks with your 4th grader. Or do GwG with both of them.