Menu

Latin Question....Lively Latin or Lingua Latina?

Xanadu

Were about to finish up GSWL....(Which has been a excellent fit and just about perfect as far as I'm concerned curriculum wise....)

My oldest monkey is 12, in the 6th grade and has severe dyslexia and working memory issues.

He actually enjoys latin. We also study ASL, and plan to start French in a year or so. (He wants to learn French, otherwise I wouldn't even attempt it)

So my question is this....Lively Latin or Lingua Latina? I really like the approach of Lingua Latina, learning by immersion reading/translating. But I'm wondering if I should do Lively Latin before Lingua....but will the Lively just repeat too much of GSWL??? (And if its all chant/memorization I could create a Latin hater...which I don't want to do)

UGG...I hate having a mid year curriculum crisis...

Any and all help would be appreciated.

I don't know what the right answer is, except to say that I think your inclination to stay away from chant and rote memorization is probably right for this situation. I'd look for lots of translation (i.e., like GSWL, learning/remembering by use as opposed to rote) and explicit grammar instruction. What about Linney's course with Gunnison's First Year Latin?

We went with Henle after GSWL and we're very happy. I don't know anything about Lively Latin. As for Lingua Latina, I shy away from immersion-style, though if the reading were coupled with a grammar course, that might be interesting. (We have Familia Romana and dd reads from it occasionally for fun, but I think it would be a lot harder if she weren't using Henle.) Latin for the New Millenium is sort of a combination, though it looks like it may also have a lot of vocabulary per lesson (in contrast, one of the aspects of Henle that I appreciate is the limited vocabulary per lesson). In another year or so, I'd also look at Wheelock's to see if you think it would be overwhelming or whether you might be able to cut it substantially into more managable chunks, going very slowly.