Menu

Is it reasonable to take both AP English exams in one year?

MMM..good question. YOu child would need to be a very well read student and very good writer. For the AP literature exam, he needs a background of several strong novels. There is one essay prompt where you have to write about a topic using one of the novels they provide. I think you can also use another strong novel that isn't listed but I'l have to choose. On another essay they have to analyze a poem or sometimes compare/contrast two of them. Another one will have you analyze a prose selection or another poetry selection. You need to have strong analytical skills. The multiple choice section is about analysis as well.

I haven't taken or seen the AP Language and comp, but my friend who teaches it at the local high school is doing mostly nonfiction. I know one of the essays gives them three sources and they have to use those three sources to write a good essay with proof. I don't know about the rest of the exam.

I would buy two test prep books or maybe even just have your child skim through them at the bookstore to see if he could do it..

Christine

Thank you so much for these replies. He does write decently well and reads voraciously both fiction and nonfiction. He wants to do this, and I think he'd enjoy the challenge. He self-studied for two of the exams last year and got 5's on both.

GardenMom, I had searched for the old threads last night, but had only been able to find one. Thank you for the links and all the information you provided about these tests in the other two current threads. I am grateful to you for pointing me toward them.

Edited by Luann in ID

My school only offered AP exams to Seniors. I had friends who took both English, US History, Calculus and physics within a week or two. Many passed with a high enough score to gain college credit. I have standardized tests, after all the attempts at ACT/SAT and the SAT2, I did not want to study for and take a bunch of APs, I just took one English!

It is possible amd reasonable, depending on how the student feels about testing.