Menu

Your favorite free curriculum for learning letters/reading?

Love_to_Read

Letter of the Week - I am using this one (the preparatory curriculum) with my 3 year old. I print ed the letters, made my own numbers and shapes, and I print some of the themed coloring sheets each week. I don't do everything. I am just trying to get her to learn the alphabet and numbers. She already knows the shapes and colors. She does a lot of coloring, but that is what she loves. I also printed of some practice sheets with several letters and you circle the capital and lowercase letters that you are practicing that week. She loves those!

We are on week 13, so far so good.

There is another letter of the week blog...I like it a lot better, but she was not ready for it. After we finish this letter of the week, we will start over with the next one.

The first two sets of I See Sam are available free online (for printing). That's not a letter of the week but it is an effective, enjoyable, and gentle way to learn to read. They are entirely decodable which is excellent and they are also entertaining to read. That's how we started here and I'm so glad.

I found an excellent free phonics curriculum. It's Orton-Gillingham based so very solid, hands on, and complete. I actually started a blog just because I wanted to share that curriculum. Anyway, I combined it with Progressive Phonics Readers (also free). All I had to do to combine was switch the introduction of phonograms somewhat to follow the progressive phonics books. We would learn the phonogram and then read the Progressive Phonics book that went with the phonogram. I went at a pace that worked for my two very different boys.

This blog post has links to the I See Sam and Progressive Phonics. I've got other posts with phonics related links listed here.

If the kiddo in question still needs to learn letter sounds I'd see if the library has Leapfrog Letter Factory. You'll have the initial sound of each letter very quickly that way. Purchasing would be under $10 I suspect.

Edited by sbgrace

There are a few blogs with great free letter activity printables.

1+1+1=1 (http://1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com) has some great stuff.

Confessions of a Homeschooler (http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com) has both free and for sale alphabet activities.

I bought her Letter of the Week which is the entire alphabet with a bunch of activites I can print for each letter. I paid $10 total plus some printer ink.

An example: "A is for Ant" (I think that's one of the choices) would have coloring, lacing, pre-writing, letter recognition (upper and lowercase), a little puzzle, a do-a-dot large letter for him to stamp with bingo markers, a capital letter that I put into a page protector so he can make the shape on top with playdough, or paint it with pudding, and about 5 other sheets. My son likes them so much that I plan to buy her kindergarten/grade 1 level when we finish this one.

Her free stuff is equally terrific.

I think 2teachingmommies site has some too under unit studies near the bottom.

There are others but it's been a long day here and my brain is fuzzy. I'll add them here as I remember them.

You can also find free templates all over the internet to make your own sandpaper letters for them to trace with a finger (fine sandpaper only, obviously!)