Menu

Anyone using Louisiana Virtual Academy?(k12)

mystika1

Hi,

Financially...things are getting very difficult and my husband and I are starting to feel that enrolling in the Louisiana Virtual Academy is a viable option. I already know that it is not homeschooling and many people here are against all virtual schools but...I have been paying taxes for years..do I not deserve to get something outta the deal?

I feel like my dd's schooling could be so much richer...

Imagine your dd getting all excited to do a science experiment and you don't have all of the things needed to get it done.. and you can't afford to go get what is needed.:sad: My dd wants to learn French which is great but...I can't afford it.:sad: We can't afford any extra expenses at all right now and it seems that it will only get worse. I also have a 4 year old who will be ready for school next year.

Honestly...It would be so nice to have a box of materials sent to my home all ready to use. Am I crazy for even feeling this way? My dd came up to me today while I was viewing the samples for k12 3rd grade and was instantly attracted to the science that I was viewing.

Does anyone use Louisiana Virtual Academy?

Sigh..

Penny

I'm just reading this. My friend does it. It IS nice b/c all of the materials are sent to you...but...it's rigid. If she doesn't get x amount of hours logged a day or a subject, she's getting a phone call or email from the state. She's tied to computers all day long and rarely gets to take a break just to go to the zoo or whatever. She has 3 kids (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) she's teaching though. That being said, if I felt like my child was lacking and needed more, then it would be an option.

Good luck to you

Stephenie

I think you need to do what works for you. If the benefits outweigh the negatives for your family right now, then do it. Right now, I'd say I would never do a virtual program. But we are talking about having a baby, and I'd lie if I said I hadn't already considered enrolling them next year. :) Needs change, then so do our priorities.

After all, it's just one year, right? You can reevaluate in the summer.