Menu

Winning w/ Writing; Growing w/ Grammar; Soaring w/ Spelling & Vocabulary

nov05mama

We are currently using WWW Level 1 and are liking the flow so far. I am wanting to switch to something other than AAS for our spelling and was considering adding in GWG and SWSV.

Does anyone use all three in combination, or at the very least, 2 of them in conjunction? Do you find it to be too redundant? (Angela - I tried to PM you b/c I know you use both GWG & WWW, right? Your inbox is full though :tongue_smilie:)

If we add them to our routine, we would likely add GWG Level 2 and SWSV Level 1 for now. In looking at the GWG Table of Contents and samples, much of the Level 1 book would be a repeat, at least for a good majority of the book (correct me if I am wrong since I can only see what samples are online...)

Any feedback you can give me would be great! Positive or negative! :) TIA!

We are using both WWW and GWG. To me it seems like WWW will lightly introduce a subject and then GWG will cover it more in depth. For example, week 2 of WWW you learn about subjects and predicates. Then toward the end of week 2 into week 3 GWG will start reviewing subjects and predicates. I like it because WWW is not hard work and the pages are quick to finish for the kids. It gives them a taste of something before diving in with GWG so to speak. We did have Soaring with Spelling but I did not like it at all so we dropped it after the first week. HTH :001_smile:

We did have Soaring with Spelling but I did not like it at all so we dropped it after the first week. HTH :001_smile:

SWS does not overlap GWG. I "went up" a level for kiddo, but it was a bit too hard, and I hope to restart it in a few months. SWS, as I see it, is more of a "reach up to something harder and memorize" it, rather than very programed AAS, or even the moderately programmed SWO. "Programmed" isn't quite the right word. I'll see if I can come up with a better one.

We are using both WWW and GWG. To me it seems like WWW will lightly introduce a subject and then GWG will cover it more in depth. For example, week 2 of WWW you learn about subjects and predicates. Then toward the end of week 2 into week 3 GWG will start reviewing subjects and predicates. I like it because WWW is not hard work and the pages are quick to finish for the kids. It gives them a taste of something before diving in with GWG so to speak. We did have Soaring with Spelling but I did not like it at all so we dropped it after the first week. HTH :001_smile:

So, for GWG, would you go ahead and start Level 1 of GWG if you are already using WWW Level 1, or do you think it would be OK to start Level 2 of GWG along with the WWW Level 1? When I was looking at the samples, it just seemed like it was the exact same stuff he was already doing in WWW, but it only shows a couple of lesson pages...not all.

I am torn on the SWSV program...I am not sure that I will love it either...I *like* AAS at the moment, but it's a bit too expensive to continue for what he is getting out of it. For him, right now, level 1 of AAS is basically just a really expensive spelling test with a few rules thrown in for good measure. That's it. I am not really sure WHAT I want our spelling program to be, so that's a bigger issue I think ;) He's a fairly good speller anyway, but I think the idea of NOT using a spelling program worries me...

I guess it just depends on how much practice your child needs with grammar. My sons are using Level 2 (age 7) and Level 3 (age 8). I wanted them to have a solid foundation with grammar so I don't see it as to repetitive. They have never complained either. As for spelling, my 8 year old is a good speller so he doesn't do a formal spelling program. I just correct as needed. My 7 year old uses AAS and is now starting level 2. He is behind with spelling and reading so this program is a good fit for him.

I guess it just depends on how much practice your child needs with grammar. My sons are using Level 2 (age 7) and Level 3 (age 8). I wanted them to have a solid foundation with grammar so I don't see it as to repetitive. They have never complained either. As for spelling, my 8 year old is a good speller so he doesn't do a formal spelling program. I just correct as needed. My 7 year old uses AAS and is now starting level 2. He is behind with spelling and reading so this program is a good fit for him.

Good point. I think, in looking yet again at the table of contents and such, really, the main review that I would worry would 'bore' him would be just Section One of GWG (differentiating between the different types of sentences) since there's so much of that covered in WWW Level 1. I think I will go ahead and just get Level 1 of GWG as well and see how it goes. Even if we have to skip Section One, there's still over half the book that I can see would be of good use anyway...even if it is slightly repetitive!

Thanks so much for your help!