Menu

Dog People- a ? about Wheaten Terriers

We are considering adding a dog to our family and would ideally like to adopt a shelter/rescue dog. Since we have children I'd like to be really careful selecting the right breed/mix that would handle an active, noisy household. I would also like to keep the dog hair down to a minimum. I grew up with dogs and other animals so I feel pretty confident when it comes to caring for dog, but also have had experience with dogs that are unpredictable, aggresive and had to be put down (we cared for my bil's dog while he was finishing college and this dog was a mess). One of those online surveys that helps you select a good breed suggested a soft coat wheaten terrier. I don't know much about the breed, but from my minimal online research the wheaten terrier seems like a wonderful family pet, minimal shedding, but needs good training in the beginning in order to not become to dominant. I happened to find a female 1yr old Wheaten at a local shelter that is in need of a home. If you've had a Wheaten before would you consider this dog? Or do you think it might be too late as far as the training goes? How many times a year do you groom/clip? Any other thoughts on wheatens or other family friendly dogs ok too.

Thanks!

A SCWT is an active, friendly, very affectionate, playful, smart, stubborn, funny, wonderful dog.

Aidan loves his toys, cooperates during grooming and baths, is picky about his food, tries to train me, likes to wear his sweater and winter coat, and can get out of any harness except one. He also Loves people.

He goes to doggie daycare so he will be socialized with other dogs and to tire him out. He used to be afraid of other dogs; now his best friend is a St. Bernard, and he Loves dogs, too.

He rarely barks. He follows me everywhere. He is now trained to wait outside the bathroom door -- otherwise, he will get in the shower with me.

He will go straight through window screens, so I have to open windows from the top.

Get a crate (Aidan's is 36" long). You will need it if you plan to do anything without your Wheaten's help.

Your home is likely already toddler-proofed. This is necessary for a Wheaten.

Health: http://www.scwtca.org/health/index.htm

Grooming: Daily or every other day, must be combed out thoroughly because hair tangles easily and everything gets stuck in it. Nails clipped or Dremeled weekly; they are black, Dremel is easier. Ears cleaned weekly. Wheatens have drop ears and are susceptible to ear infections.

Visit groomer every 6 weeks to 2 months -- if you are lucky, there will be a groomer in your area who knows how to groom Wheatens.

Wheaten coats absorb water. After Aidan drinks, I squeeze the water out of his beard. Because of this, he has a waterproof winter coat, and next spring will add a raincoat to his wardrobe. It takes him 3 hours to dry -- toweling him dry does not do anything except prevent some dripping. He is not fond of the blow dryer, and that takes forever too because the heat setting is low. If he steps in his water bowl, he trails a lake of water around the house. I put a beach towel, fully laid out, under it.

http://scwt.sasktelwebsite.net/summer2009.pdf

Food: Best to buy grain free food and treats that have no wheat, corn, or soy in them. A huge percentage of Wheatens are allergic to wheat. Love bully sticks. Taste of the Wild is a good, medium-priced dog food, but there are many more.

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/

Activity: Need lots of playtime, running, walking, attention. Love to dig. Will bury things around the house, including biscuits for later consumption, toys, bully sticks, and will hide things they don't like (ear wash). Very mischievous.

Many do not like water. Aidan loves it. He has a baby pool from Walmart to use during the summer.

Training: Quick to learn, stubborn about proving it. Can never be allowed to run off leash because they will run away. They like to play chase ... right into traffic. No one ever believes how strong Aidan is until they experience it for themselves, btw.

Difficult to train the dog not to perform the Wheaten Greetin'. Aidan can knock over anyone. We hold onto him and make people sit down before he greets them. The kids don't mind being swarmed by Aidan when they come in, but we usually crate him when adults visit.

http://www.scwtca.org/train/index.htm

Heartworms & Fleas - should be on a vet-approved heartworm medication and flea/tick medication like Frontline Plus. All Wheatens are allergic to fleas.

Yahoo group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/SoftCoatedWheatens/

Great general dog questions forum: http://www.dogforums.com/

I suggest you watch a bunch of Wheaten Terrier videos on YouTube. That will give you a pretty good idea of what a Wheaten is like.

If you have any questions, I have lots of links. Plus, as you can tell, I cannot stop talking about my Sweetie Wheatie (a/k/a Rat Boy).

Edited by RoughCollie

Oh my goodness! What a wealth of information. Thank you for such a detailed response. I simultaneously want to run out the door and adopt this sweet girl before anyone else does and run in the other direction as far away from this potential disaster :lol: They sound like the most lovable dog with a TON of personality....but also a LOT of work. I might have to think about this one some more. Since we are home all day, we don't mind a dog that has some energy and enjoys running around and going for long walks. However, I'm not sure how much time I/we can devote to the grooming.

No. Ask why she was turned in. Ask about her temperament and personality traits, behavior, whether she is housebroken, known health problems, resource guarding issues, training, dog and people aggression, how she is around little kids, and everything else you can think of.

Make your serious interest in the dog well known so it is not adopted by someone else. Visit and play with the dog a couple of times without the kids. Then bring the kids and see how she acts around them. Wheatens jump, and will lick someone half to death, by nature. Getting slimed by the dog will be a fact of life.

Don't be surprised if you bring her home and she is fairly calm for the first week or more. She will gradually get used her new home and family, and her true personality will show itself. Wheatens have more personality than any dog I've ever been around.

If she hasn't been spayed yet, the vet should follow the pre-anesthesia protocol for windhounds.

Wheatens are Very Exuberant! They love to chew, which is why I suggested bully sticks. Today, while I was on the computer, Aidan was lying next to my chair. I heard a ripping sound. He was removing the label under the seat. Having Aidan is similar to having a toddler -- he is 9 months old, and Wheatens are known for retaining their puppy nature all of their lives. I hope that means the positive parts of the puppy nature!

Aidan is cute. He keeps me on my toes. Currently, he busy trying to open drawers with his paws. Luckily, he does not have a thumb. Hopefully, he will not think of using his mouth.

I love Rough Collies. We have a Wheaten because this is the breed I thought would best fit our family when Teddy died. The kids did not want another Collie because they thought we would be trying to replace Teddy. Suffice it to say, that as much energy and time as Aidan requires, I am considering getting another Wheaten in 18 months instead of another Collie. My next dog will not be a puppy; it will be 2-3 years old.

Roughcollie,

Knowing the breed so well, would you be hesitant about adopting a SCWT from a shelter?

Thanks!

BTW, Aidan is SOOOO cute!!!!

Edited by RoughCollie

However, I'm not sure how much time I/we can devote to the grooming.

Grooming takes 10-15 minutes, whether you do it every day or every other day. If you get busy and wait a week, it will take 2-3 hours. You have to comb them from the skin out, brush their teeth, make sure their ears are clean, use an ear cleaner once a week. It is not as bad as it sounds when they are cared for daily or every other day ... but do not wait a week. I'll never do that again.

If the dog gets muddy, it will take 2 hours, including the bath (3 tubfuls of water). When Aidan is muddy, he looks like he has skinny dreadlocks of mud all over him. His coat does not shed anything, including burs, hair, dirt or mud, seed pods, and grass clippings. Should chewing gum get in it, rub peanut butter into the gum to get it out.

I suggest you ask about Wheaten ownership at the Yahoo group. Aidan may be a lot more work because I have time and I dote on him. If he is going to be alone for more than a couple of hours, I hire a sitter. Besides that, my teenagers are less enthusiastic about playing with him than they would have been were they younger. I have been told by several people that Aidan is my hobby; I prefer to think of myself as a dog enthusiast.

Here's a link about Wheaten temperament and disposition. http://www.wheaten-terriers.com/aboutwheatens/temperament.htm Aidan has every behavior on the list. I am trying to train him to wipe his cold, wet beard on someone else.

Edited by RoughCollie

Another link - http://www.wheatenterrierrescue.org/RightPet.html

Addresses the question of whether a Wheaten is the right breed for you.

Is the dog you are interested in #122, 1 yr 2 mo unspayed female? She is adorable. Since she is not spayed, I'd ask if she is from a puppy mill.

If you decide not to get her, please send the link to the page to the rescue group so they might pull the dog from the shelter.

Edited by RoughCollie

Another link - http://www.wheatenterrierrescue.org/RightPet.html

Addresses the question of whether a Wheaten is the right breed for you.

Is the dog you are interested in #122, 1 yr 2 mo unspayed female? She is adorable. Since she is not spayed, I'd ask if she is from a puppy mill.

If you decide not to get her, please send the link to the page to the rescue group so they might pull the dog from the shelter.

Yes, that's her! Oh man, I hope she isn't from a puppy mill. Thanks for all the links. I'm off to check those out now. I'm going to talk some more with my DH about it and see what he thinks we can handle this breed. I'll be sure to forward her info to the rescue if we don't pursue.

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it!

Yes, that's her! Oh man, I hope she isn't from a puppy mill. Thanks for all the links. I'm off to check those out now. I'm going to talk some more with my DH about it and see what he thinks we can handle this breed. I'll be sure to forward her info to the rescue if we don't pursue.

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it!

If you get her, be sure to PM me!

On the bright side, the adult dogs Aidan's breeder had were a lot calmer than Aidan. They were all 2 years or older. Puppyhood lasts 2 years in this breed (as with many others), so maybe at that point Wheatens are calmer.

Aidan has brought a lot of joy into our household. The hardest part of taking care of him is remembering not to laugh when he is doing something he is not supposed to do.

I would grab her and run if I were you; I would also tomato stake her for at least 2 weeks or longer. I swear this is what made my crazy dog, good! (not perfect :)) I kept him with me every second for the first 2 weeks.... when not with me.. in his crate. I usually just had him on his leash (and ended up buying the one that they replace if the dog chews it up... of course... he never did. (he had chewed through his nice new one that I got him... but not the "guaranteed" one:))

So.... I did walks in the morning... walks in the evening.... and short walks at noon... for the first few months. (I actually walked him about 2.5 hrs a day for the first few weeks. This bike adaptor and harness is what I found, and will get if I get another dog... maybe I'll get it while I still have our present dog :) I want it, but we're trying to be careful with $$$ right now.

I suggest going to serious training for the first while. Here we went to a 12 week training session, once a week, with other dogs. It was a great time, with a really great trainer. (Skip the pet store ones...)

I agree with the part about grain free; I feed ours raw. Turned a dog that was almost ready to be put down due to his allergies... to a dog that's fine :)

Have fun!!

• 3 years later...
Guest Shelley E

I depearatley need help!!  My 71 year old mother adopted a 1 year old SCWT from a shelter nearly 4 months ago.  The first night home, he did ok, but the next morning while Mom was in the shower he completely DESTROYED her guest room.  She called me in tears.  I bought a crate for him, that fixed everything.  He doesn't want to go into it, but he seems to have accepted that he will spend his nights and unsupervised time in there. He doesn't bark or cry while in it.  In the last 4 months he hasn't had even one accident in the house.  He's been a dream and they've fallen in love.  He gets at least 3 walks per day and is taken out between walks to go potty in the yard. He has learned tricks and they're best buddies.  

The problem? He's recently become aggressive and we have no idea why. He has pooped in the house three times in three days.  Mom wasn't happy but figured that it wasn't a HUGE deal, but really strange.  Last night she went to her bedroom to change clothes and found that he had pooped and left droppings along a 5 foot stretch of carpet in her dining room, he had just been outside not 2 minutes prior.  It was solid, not loose at all.  She scolded him by telling him with a stern voice that he was a bad boy and when she bent down to pick it all up, he bit her in the butt.  He drew blood and she thought she might need stitches, but seems to be better this morning.  Immediately after, she went to the restroom to clean up and when she came out, he was acting normal. This morning when she took him out of his crate for his breakfast, walk and potty break he immediately started biting at her ankles.

She said that she won't be able to keep him if this behavior continues.  She loves him and will miss him horribly but doesn't know what to do.  She lives alone and he gets tons of attention.  She is retired and volunteers her time to her community, about 4 hours per day, 2 days per week. It's not like he's forgotten in a crate all day. He has learned basic commands and gets rewards for sitting, shaking, etc. When he is being a bit of a pain, she rolls up a newspaper and swats her own hand with it and he stops his behavior immediately.  She has never physically disciplined him. 

Does anybody have ANY ideas of what is going on here?  Please?

I depearatley need help!! My 71 year old mother adopted a 1 year old SCWT from a shelter nearly 4 months ago. The first night home, he did ok, but the next morning while Mom was in the shower he completely DESTROYED her guest room. She called me in tears. I bought a crate for him, that fixed everything. He doesn't want to go into it, but he seems to have accepted that he will spend his nights and unsupervised time in there. He doesn't bark or cry while in it. In the last 4 months he hasn't had even one accident in the house. He's been a dream and they've fallen in love. He gets at least 3 walks per day and is taken out between walks to go potty in the yard. He has learned tricks and they're best buddies.

The problem? He's recently become aggressive and we have no idea why. He has pooped in the house three times in three days. Mom wasn't happy but figured that it wasn't a HUGE deal, but really strange. Last night she went to her bedroom to change clothes and found that he had pooped and left droppings along a 5 foot stretch of carpet in her dining room, he had just been outside not 2 minutes prior. It was solid, not loose at all. She scolded him by telling him with a stern voice that he was a bad boy and when she bent down to pick it all up, he bit her in the butt. He drew blood and she thought she might need stitches, but seems to be better this morning. Immediately after, she went to the restroom to clean up and when she came out, he was acting normal. This morning when she took him out of his crate for his breakfast, walk and potty break he immediately started biting at her ankles.

She said that she won't be able to keep him if this behavior continues. She loves him and will miss him horribly but doesn't know what to do. She lives alone and he gets tons of attention. She is retired and volunteers her time to her community, about 4 hours per day, 2 days per week. It's not like he's forgotten in a crate all day. He has learned basic commands and gets rewards for sitting, shaking, etc. When he is being a bit of a pain, she rolls up a newspaper and swats her own hand with it and he stops his behavior immediately. She has never physically disciplined him.

Does anybody have ANY ideas of what is going on here? Please?

Take him to the vet for a thorough exam. I would guess something physical is happening with him with a sudden temperament change absent trauma.