Menu

Anyone used "Bible and its influence"?

How is it set up?

Is it sort of a secular apologetics? (sorry, didn't know how else to write that) With a "what does this all mean for the world" kind of bent?

Or is it simply a type of encyclopedia wherein the text says "When Paul said ______, it has been interpreted by scholars to mean ________, with variations among faiths A, B, C, D".

Does it have questions/lessons at the end of each lesson/chapter? If so, are they open ended, or are they "firm", with answers in the back of the book?

Since this is a textbook that requires the use of a bible, does it matter which version of the bible is used? (King James, Catholic, etc.)

What is your opinion on the "secularity" of this textbook? Meaning, how well have the authors done in treating the bible as a historical document rather than a rulebook for religious dogma?

Thanks,

asta

How is it set up?

Is it sort of a secular apologetics? (sorry, didn't know how else to write that) With a "what does this all mean for the world" kind of bent?

Or is it simply a type of encyclopedia wherein the text says "When Paul said ______, it has been interpreted by scholars to mean ________, with variations among faiths A, B, C, D".

Does it have questions/lessons at the end of each lesson/chapter? If so, are they open ended, or are they "firm", with answers in the back of the book?

Since this is a textbook that requires the use of a bible, does it matter which version of the bible is used? (King James, Catholic, etc.)

What is your opinion on the "secularity" of this textbook? Meaning, how well have the authors done in treating the bible as a historical document rather than a rulebook for religious dogma?

Thanks,

asta

Be patient with me, I have loaned the book out for the summer! I will try and answer your questions from memory.

The gist of the book is that the Bible influences our art, law, entertainment, literature, etc whether we accept the Bible as holy or not. It does a great job of demonstrating that the Bible has influenced our culture, no matter the beliefs of the members of society.

Each chapter includes a few projects to choose from and we found these to be a great way to wrap up the lessons. The book is visually appealling, as well.

Any version of the Bible will work fine. There is really no theology in the book at all, the Bible is approached more for its historical value than as a Holy Book.

I chose this book for its secular bent. My daughter has grown up with Bible teaching as a integral part of our family's faith. I wanted her to see it from a different perspective. While the book is secular, it does not tear apart the Christian faith either. It is quite neutral.

I wanted to do this after my older daughter took a public school Bible course and came home day after day so very excited to be learning Bible in this very secular way. It did not undermine her faith at all, rather it built upon what she already knew.

You can easily do as I did, use this book as a basis and then add in some theology books for balance, if you wish.

can you share the theology books you used in additon to this text?

thanks much,

LauraD in MN

Oh, let's see.....I know I had her read some John McArthur (which she liked) and some John Piper (which she did not like:confused:), and some CS Lewis(which she loved) I want to say there was something else, but it escapes me now. I just basically picked books off my shelf that I had read and made her read them and we discussed them. I just wanted to keep her growing spiritually even though her main Bible text was not meant to foster spiritual growth.