Menu

MM: Mystery Numbers?

FairProspects

Did anyone else's kid completely freak when you hit mystery numbers in 1B? I can't figure out how to scaffold it other than using a 100s chart. I think the language and sequencing is way too much for ds. Any ideas how to make it less language related and more numbers/math related or should I just skip it?

My kids really loved that one. But it was also kind of funny because they would struggle to get it, then slowly get good at it after a few times. Then they'd go do it again a few days later and... totally starting over. Oh well. At least it was a quick learning curve.

I do think if a kid doesn't get it, you could just move on and then come back to it - with that cute website, that's especially easy to do and you could just practice by doing it once a day or a few times in one sitting every week and it would be pretty painless. It's something important, but I don't think it's a stop everything until they get it thing either.

Hmmm... Can you give him some base 10 blocks to solve with? That way, he can see the adding of 2 tens to 27 would be 47, that sort of thing.

Yeah, I thought about this too. That might be the only way to show him. He just can't hold that much language sequencing in his head and I think he needs a visual way to see it.