Menu

son wants to go back to public school...

i don't know if i'm looking for sympathy, a friendly ear or advice here, but i am feeling like the biggest failure right now! my son had gone to public school from k5 on until last year, halfway through his 8th grade year, we got a call from the counselor's office that he was sitting down there talking about suicide. after almost having a heart attack from shock, we got to the school and realized that he wasn't in fact really suicidal, but just miserable from being bullied. apparently, the whole suicide report is standard procedure for our school district because 4 middle schoolers have killed themselves in the past couple of years.

at any rate, he begged us to pull him out, which we did that day and i spent the last 3 months of 8th grade homeschooling him. he was so excited for being homeschooled through high school and declared that he was never going back. i spent so much time with him laying out his whole high school career, so we could make sure that he would have what he needed to go to a great college... he wants to be a neurosurgeon. when we started 9th grade in august, we had a rough time at first just because it was so new and he is a typical teenager with all that comes with the age. we got into a great groove, and then after about a month he started getting resentful because he saw his friends enjoying the whole "high school experience" and by the time we rolled in to homecoming time a week ago, he was miserable once again. this time because he was seeing everyone get ready for the homecoming dance and all the fun social things. he was even invited by a girl, but per the school district rules homeschooled students are not allowed to attend ANY public school functions except attending sporting events. that went over just great :angry:

now he has decided that he wants to go back, which is ok since we had told him that either way is fine with us. since no credits will be transferable, i've decided that he needs to get back in january for the second semester as our district does block scheduling and he will be only a couple of credits behind. my question is to all of you, has this ever come up in your lives? if so, did your child regret his decision and want to come back home? my hubby and have talked about it, and both agree that he if succeeds back in public schools great, but if he gets the "school envy" out of his system, he can come back to homeschooling, as long as he gets that he can't flip flop back and forth.

thank you so much for listening, and any words of advice would be ever so welcomed...

All through the 5th grade my daughter begged me to allow her to go to ps. I let her because she was able to enroll in a charter school with involved parents, Anyway, right off the bat she started crying every morning - not wanting to go. The teachers were nice, no kids were being overly obnoxious (one girl was mean but not on a scary level), etc. Every day I had to insist she go because it was what she spent the previous year pleading for. I told her that she could come back home at the end of the year but she was not going back anytime before the end of middle school.

Of course, now she's in high school and she wants to go back (but she's not insisting on it like she did before). Next year we'll decide if cc is the route to go. This is my issue - I do a lot of research with much angst :tongue_smilie: to prepare each year and she doesn't always know what she really wants just what she thinks she wants.

All that being said, I'm not sure I could/would let him go to ps just because he sees the fun stuff. It might be important to remind him that there is still 30+ hours per week (not including homework) that isn't the fun stuff.

All that being said, I'm not sure I could/would let him go to ps just because he sees the fun stuff. It might be important to remind him that there is still 30+ hours per week (not including homework) that isn't the fun stuff.

:iagree:

I would not let him play the flip/flop game.