Menu

I'm discouraged and need advice re: Barton and dyslexic student

I've been using Barton with my dyslexic daughter for a couple years now. We are currently in Level 7, and while her reading has improved, she forgets the spelling rules as we move on to new lessons. Her spelling is better than it used to be, but she still makes lots of mistakes, which discourages her as much as it does me. Should I stop moving forward and go back and do an intensive review of each spelling rule until she has them down cold? She does well on the spelling tests at the end of each chapter, maybe missing one or two, but the rules just don't seem to stick. I feel like we spend too much time and energy on Barton for what we are accomplishing. (Now, don't get me wrong, I do love the program! I think it is brilliantly and wonderfully designed. I'm thinking of tutoring when I'm done homeschooling my daughter, and I will definitely use Barton for that.)I just wonder if we should cut back and go back so she can spend more time reading, which she does like to do. And so that we can have more energy left for more hands on projects. She is a diligent student and willingly does everything I ask of her, but I can tell this spelling thing is really wearing on her. (And me!)

BTW, she is in 8th grade. Thanks for reading this and for any advice you can give!

:grouphug:

I use Barton with my dc too. The highest level I've taught so far is level six. We need to constantly review the spelling rules, otherwise dc forget. It might be worthwhile for you to spend some time at the start of each tutoring session to go over the old spelling rules. (Just about five minutes.) I wouldn't stop progressing through the program--just include more review during tutoring sessons. Have you seen the spelling rules visual cards on Barton's tutor support? I printed them out on card stock. I've thought about laminating them and posting them around our classroom or creating a spelling rules binder for each child. I wish they could remember the rules without having to constantly review them.

Barton recommends a minimum of two hours tutoring per week. If you are above that amount of time, maybe you can redirect some of your energy to having your daughter read to you. I plan to continue tutoring my dc until we're through the program, but I find it's also worthwhile to spend time having my ds read other books to me outloud. I was getting really discouraged at how slow he is advancing through Barton, but when I resumed having him read books outloud to me, I was encouraged at how far that has come. I don't know how much of your time you spend on Barton vs. other reading. Since she enjoys reading, that way you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor together.

As to spelling...I wonder if spelling is ever easy for people with dyslexia? Barton teaches the students how to use a spell checker for a reason. My ds has improved significantly on standardized testing, but his spelling is still remarkable poor. I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that he may need to rely heavily on spell checking programs--but at least now his spelling is close enough that a program can recognize the word. Really, he's come a long way. My ds had struggles with reading from day one and he basically couldn't read before we started Barton. Some days I'm just thankful that he can now read--and other days I get discouraged with his spelling.

I don't know where your daughter's spelling and reading was before Barton. If you haven't called Susan Barton to discuss your concerns, you might try that. She would probably have some additional suggestions for you.

Edited by merry gardens

Just to say hi and :grouphug: and agree with both answers. You could either do something different for a little while (like A and P which is pretty easy to use and can be a break from Barton) or slow down, do some review and talk to Susan Barton who is really helpful.

I'd think about what your child's strengths are and work in that way. My child is very auditory so when he has a word that he is not getting, I spell it to him, he spells it back to me, and then he writes it down. SB has more visual and kinesthetic recommendations in her book which are perhaps more commonly helpful for other dyslexic children. My son doesn't learn that way so I do it a little differently.

Apples and Pears is a refreshing break. I took a year off Barton (after level 6) and had DS work through level C and D. It has a very different way of presenting spelling. I think it really helped DS he has since progressed pretty quickly through the Barton levels (he is on level 9 now, almost done...yay).

I was told by the Barton coordinator at my charter school that most kids don't get this far at our school. Most get hung up at level 7 or so. It is a lot of information. It will take time and I think it is ok if you don't conquer this mountain over night.

One other thing, don't fret too much about spelling mistakes in work other than Barton. DS makes WAY MORE spelling mistakes in his writing than he does when doing a lesson. It is absolutely normal. They are thinking about other things and incorporating spelling into day to day writing is so much harder. Be persistant, it will come. If she is having trouble with Barton Spelling then review, switch gears etc. If she is having trouble spelling in her other work, don't worry. That will come in time, with practice. It just takes longer. When DS makes mistakes in his "other work" I either fix it for him (and tell him what I am doing) or have him fix it himself. It depends on whether or not I think he should be able to spell that work. If it's a tough word, I just fix it, if it's "their/they're,there", or something of that sort, I make him do it since he should know this by now. I don't get upset or anything I just hand him a pencil and say "here, fix this, kid"

Hang in there and keep up the good work.

Edited by onaclairadeluna