Menu

What Am I Missing?

We've been "turned upside down" curricula-wise. I'm completely unhappy with my curricula choices and I'm revamping my daughter's high school program. I've spent hours reading, researching and trying to fill all the gaps.

This is what I have so far:

Bible: Word of Life Quiet Time Journal/TOG Y2 Worldview

L/A: TOG Y2 Literature & Writing

Math: MUS Algebra 1

Science: Apologia Biology w/ VHSG co-op

History/Geography: TOG Y2

So, what am I missing? Show me the holes in my plan...:tongue_smilie:

Iagree that a foreign language and elective is probably warranted. Also, does your dd need grammar?

Have you done a high school sequence so that you can see what your dd's 4-year plan might look like? This is the best way to try to fit in what you may need and attain goals by graduation. Of course, write it in pencil. :001_smile:

HTH,

Lisa

Iagree that a foreign language and elective is probably warranted. Also, does your dd need grammar?

Have you done a high school sequence so that you can see what your dd's 4-year plan might look like? This is the best way to try to fit in what you may need and attain goals by graduation. Of course, write it in pencil. :001_smile:

HTH,

Lisa

Grammar: I used Easy Grammar Ultimate Grade 9 last year. I guess I should look into Grade 10. Thanks for the reminder.

I actually just found a "Four-Year High School Plan" form on the HSLDA website...I have printed that out and I'll be filling it in. (in pencil)

:bigear: - any other suggestions/feedback? (especially in the area of "Electives")

If she wants to go to college: some want to see a fine arts elective on the transcript. (And aside from that, I personally believe this to be valuable for a well-rounded education). We do Art history and music history. And choir (though we may count this as an extracurricular)

Also useful: computer skills (she will need these in almost any area she is planning to go into, even horses).

If she wants to go to college: some want to see a fine arts elective on the transcript. (And aside from that, I personally believe this to be valuable for a well-rounded education). We do Art history and music history. And choir (though we may count this as an extracurricular)

OK -- that makes sense. I can offer Fine Arts using the TOG plan. We also have a piano and she has taken lessons in the past...maybe we'll look into starting up again.

Also useful: computer skills (she will need these in almost any area she is planning to go into, even horses).

I've been thinking about that also...just couldn't fit it in this year. ;)

She is familiar with several word processing programs and powerpoint. I was thinking about spreadsheets and databases.

Any suggestions for materials? A friend mentioned a program called Motherboard Books, but I haven't had time to check it out.

If she is thinking about being a farrier, wouldn't a course in having your own business be a good idea? Something that covered basic finances and accounting and business plans and marketing so she could figure out whether it would be worth buying a new truck and how much to set aside for taxes and how to bill people and how not to set up shop in an area with 5 other farriers?

Other possibly useful electives might be anatomy (not just human) or animal behavior or car repair.

Or you could take the approach that she will get lots of practical education and this is her chance to study things that she won't ever have a chance to study again in her busy life, things that will enrich her life. Poetry? Drawing? Music? Foreign languages so she can travel? A particular period of history that interests her? Another aspect of science, like meteorology? A particular type of literature? Theatre? Shakespeare?

Nan

If she is thinking about being a farrier, wouldn't a course in having your own business be a good idea? Something that covered basic finances and accounting and business plans and marketing so she could figure out whether it would be worth buying a new truck and how much to set aside for taxes and how to bill people and how not to set up shop in an area with 5 other farriers?

Other possibly useful electives might be anatomy (not just human) or animal behavior or car repair.

Nan

Good idea, thank you!! :) Suggestions??

For a specific curriculum? Unfortunately, no. I would repost asking for specific suggestions. It isn't an area where I am knowledgable, so I would look for a curriculum designed by somebody else. If it is something that you know about, you might be able to search the web for an example syllabus and then teach the topics on the syllabus. Or you might be able to find a teach-yourself book to use as a spine.

Nan

See I knew I was forgetting something. :lol:

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone Spanish 2

Electives: Horses, Driver's Ed & Generation Change by Dave Ramsey

The transcipt may look a little light. In many states, driver's ed is not for high school credit and I don't know of any college that consider it one. Additionally, the equestrian would be considered an extra-curricular activity. There is a special place on college/vocational school apps for those.

I would consider adding a fine arts credit such as art history or other...could be a science elective, sociology or psychology, British Literature, etc.

Foreign language is practically considered a "core" subject these days instead of an elective.

Faith

A friend's daughter is very interested in pursuing something with horses so she is giving her daughter and "equine science" credit. Her daughter is learning so much about horses. That could be worth looking into so that her transcript shows her interest in horses.

Also, not sure if this goes on the official transcript but my daughters volunteer 3 hours a week at a therapeutic horseback riding facility. They also are camp counselors at the same facility during their summer camp sessions.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

A friend's daughter is very interested in pursuing something with horses so she is giving her daughter and "equine science" credit. Her daughter is learning so much about horses. That could be worth looking into so that her transcript shows her interest in horses.

Also, not sure if this goes on the official transcript but my daughters volunteer 3 hours a week at a therapeutic horseback riding facility. They also are camp counselors at the same facility during their summer camp sessions.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Thank you, Elise, for sharing this...my daughter is talking with a horse rescue and a therapeutic riding facility to see if she can get some experience. :) She also has an opportunity to "job shadow" with our vet and with our farrier. :) :)

The transcipt may look a little light. In many states, driver's ed is not for high school credit and I don't know of any college that consider it one. Additionally, the equestrian would be considered an extra-curricular activity. There is a special place on college/vocational school apps for those.

I would consider adding a fine arts credit such as art history or other...could be a science elective, sociology or psychology, British Literature, etc.

Foreign language is practically considered a "core" subject these days instead of an elective.

Faith

Thank you, Faith, for sharing.

I checked with a few homeschooling friends and they suggested Driver's Education should be counted as an elective. The local CC counted it when I submitted our eldest daughter's transcript. (She also had way more credits than are required, so maybe it wasn't an issue.)

For electives, TOG provides philosophy, visual arts, music history, government, and religious history. They won't count as a full credit in any given year but each is countable as a one year credit if you do them through a four year rotation.

Thanks for reminding me!! :) I knew that in the back of my head, but had temporarily forgotten. ;)