Menu

easy readers / phonics readers

momma aimee

DS1 is gaining confidence in CVC words and some simple sight words. we are reading Progressive Phonics "books" that I printed out for him.

Any one know of any other place on-line to print out free (or cheap) books for kids to practice their phonics?

Our Lib is small and the shelf of "leveled readers" is mostly beyond him at this point, and they seem -- as i look at them, more sight word leveled and NOT phonics.

I read a ton to him, and he loves that, but i am looking for more material for him to read.

thanks

There are the I See Sam Books, available in two places.

Here, where they are a little raggedy looking. ;)

http://www.marriottmd.com/sam/

and here, where they've been cleaned up and such: readinglessons.com (beginning in week 7's lessons)

They introduce the two-letter phonogram ee from the first book, and in general have a different sort of order than the usual "mat sat" style books, but they are cute. If anything, I found they moved too slowly, so if introductory practice is what you're after, they're great.

Incidentally, I share your frustration with library "leveled phonics readers." I got a set of Curious George and some Clifford ones, and the best that could be said for them is that I could read them aloud and use them for incidental phonics, because only every third or fourth word was decodable at my son's level, the alleged level of the books.

• 5 months later...

The I See Sam books are indeed perfect for extended practice! Additionally, the stories and characters are very engaging (far more so than the Bob books), particularly in the first 3 sets.

As mentioned above, the first two sets are downloadable for free from a few websites. The other, later sets, you can purchase from:

3rsplus.com

iseesam.com