Menu

I can't get motivated this school year

Please kick me in the butt.

Four weeks in, DD5 is right on track. Our combined studies of readalouds, history, art and Latin are going OK. Science has been virtually non-existant (which is strange because I LOVE science but I run out of steam before we get there). But DS9... I just.... eh.... I can't seem to power through. He's on track with math. Grammar/LA? 4 lessons behind because I can't reel him back in after football on Fridays. Writing? Not even close, not because he can't write a good paragraph but because he can't spell for diddly. And spelling? Spelling is his kryptonite and I just... eh... I don't have the will. I don't think he is ever going to get it. Ever.

Kick me. Kick me now.

No kicking, just :grouphug:. Relax momma. Everything's gonna be alright!!

September was a complete bust for us but we had a great time with visiting relatives!! I was gung ho to start after Labor Day, thinking we would still work through our lessons. Nope. Instead, we spent the month reading, going to the library, piano lessons and practice, day trips, watching videos and documentaries, tea time with Grandma, helping grandpa fix things around the house, cooking together, drawing, and learning how to sew. We had a blast and I realized something MAJOR ..... my girls (11 & 7) were still learning. We are now in October, and the sense of urgency to get it all done hasn't yet filled every cell in body, calling it to attention, inducing it into an anxiety riddled mess, making me feel like a chicken with my head cut off going from one thing to another. We're not even starting our day with math!!!!! Previously, I'd have found it a crime. Instead, we snuggle together reading aloud from literature and history then taking it from there. It's been great!!!!

I'll tell you a secret: this forum is the mother load for all things homeschooling. I have a binder full of posts/threads I've printed full of advice, BUT to gain perspective on what my family needs and what we should focus on in our homeschooling, I sometimes need to step away, gather my thoughts, talk to the hubs, and spend time with the girls in real time, work out the kinks, then keep it moving. Kwim??

Wishing you peace!

Can't offer any advice, and I'm certainly not going to kick your butt :lol:.

Just to say, :grouphug:, and I understand. I have a DS10 who sounds very similar to your DS9. He's really not interested in anything except his latest obsession - it had been soccer, then it was tennis during the summer, then scooters a couple of weeks ago and now Nerf guns :willy_nilly:. It's so hard trying to be enthusiastic and engaging and excited about what we're doing when he's so :bored:. I spent more time nagging, complaining, even shouting, last week than I've done in all our previous two years of homeschooling. But I will not be defeated :001_smile:. Tomorrow's another day, another battle.

I do have DS4 and DS7, who are perfect little darlings (when they're not being loud and wild), to keep me going.

Even if you don't feel motivated, just keep on keeping on, as they say.

Best wishes

Cassy

No kicking, just :grouphug:. Relax momma. Everything's gonna be alright!!

September was a complete bust for us but we had a great time with visiting relatives!! I was gung ho to start after Labor Day, thinking we would still work through our lessons. Nope. Instead, we spent the month reading, going to the library, piano lessons and practice, day trips, watching videos and documentaries, tea time with Grandma, helping grandpa fix things around the house, cooking together, drawing, and learning how to sew. We had a blast and I realized something MAJOR ..... my girls (11 & 7) were still learning. We are now in October, and the sense of urgency to get it all done hasn't yet filled every cell in body, calling it to attention, inducing it into an anxiety riddled mess, making me feel like a chicken with my head cut off going from one thing to another. We're not even starting our day with math!!!!! Previously, I'd have found it a crime. Instead, we snuggle together reading aloud from literature and history then taking it from there. It's been great!!!!

I'll tell you a secret: this forum is the mother load for all things homeschooling. I have a binder full of posts/threads I've printed full of advice, BUT to gain perspective on what my family needs and what we should focus on in our homeschooling, I sometimes need to step away, gather my thoughts, talk to the hubs, and spend time with the girls in real time, work out the kinks, then keep it moving. Kwim??

Wishing you peace!

Good advice. Thank you. I know he's learning... I'm just not getting through my check list of subjects and ... I like lists. :glare:

I spent more time nagging, complaining, even shouting, last week than I've done in all our previous two years of homeschooling. But I will not be defeated :001_smile:. Tomorrow's another day, another battle.

Cassy

You too, huh? OK. I will not be defeated either.