Menu

Jenney, Wheelock, or Latin Road to Eng Grammar

I am trying to pick from these texts that I have on hand for Latin. Which would you choose for a 15 dd that has had only Latina Christiana 1, and why? Oh, and I have not taken Latin myself but I do want to learn with my dd.

1. Jenney First Year Latin--I picked up this 1958 student text and do not have the teacher's edition so obviously that would make it hard to use unless I can find it. Maybe someone knows of a good place to look? I really like the looks of it.

2. Wheelock's Latin, Barnes & Noble Outline, 3rd edition

3. Latin Road to English Grammar--I have TE, Student pages, but I guess I would need to buy the pronunciation cd.

Thank you!

Note on Jenney -- It is a fantastic text. For decades it was THE Latin text used in high schools across the country. However, it is not designed for do-it-yourselfers. Unless you have the answer key AND are willing to do a lot of work yourself, I would recommend that you do something else.

We (myself, my 8th grade DS & my advanced 5th grade DD) are working through Wheelock's this year, and loving it. I enjoyed Latin in high school, so I am working through all of the lessons with the kids. They went through Lively Latin 2 years ago, and are doing fine with Wheelock's. We take about 10 days to get through each lesson, doing ALL of the exercises in the book, ALL of the exercises in the Wheelock's Workbook, every lesson in LaFleur's Scirbblers, Sculptors, & Scribes, and using Grote's Comprehensive Guide to Latin. We spend about 45 minutes to an hour each day doing Latin. The Wheelock's book recommends doing only selected exercises, but we found that the extra practice helps us understand & retain the info, we we do everything. We also use the Wheelock's site to listen to the audio files for the vocab. My kids love language, vocabulary, and history, and Wheelock's has been a great fit for them. We plan to do half of this book this year, and count it as one year of high school Latin. Good luck with your choice!